1. Welcome to the Diabetes UK Forum
    Dismiss Notice

Parent of Autistic son recently diagnosed T2

Discussion in 'General Messageboard' started by DebbieC, Sep 29, 2019.

1. DebbieC

DebbieC Active Member

Relationship to Diabetes:
    Parent
    Hi
    I am mum to 32 year old son with autism who was diagnosed T2 in 1/9/19 : put straight on gliclszide and metformin. Am very anxious about whole diagnosis as this had always been my fear as he is overweight. He’s back living with me from his supported housing and am supporting him on low carb diet and exercise plus take meds regularly. His Hb reading was 64 and he’s having further test next week. He’s coping well as he doesn’t really understand but has lost 1 stone in 3weeks so his BMI gone from 30 to 28.7. Anyone out there facing similar issues. Nurse doesn’t seem to think linked to his weight which is depressing too.

2. Drummer

Drummer Well-Known Member

Type 2
    The excess weight could be due to an inability to cope with carbohydrate rather than the reverse.
    Since going back to a low carb with natural fat diet I have lost weight and also volume, and become stronger.
    The Hba1c of 64 is not dreadfully high, with a low carb diet, and utilising fats rather than carbs for energy it should drop fairly quickly and with exercise, and his age helping normality is a possibility - I am bouncing along at the top edge of normal, but I suspect I have been glucose intolerant for years, if not decades.

3. DebbieC

DebbieC Active Member

Parent

4. DebbieC

DebbieC Active Member

Parent
    hi
    Thank you for your reply, yes I am going to carry on with low carb diet which he is enjoying although completely different to what he’s used to eating as the weight loss is quite remarkable and he’s not hungry at all. Mind you the smoked salmon and eggs for breakfast, avocado and prawns for his packed lunch and fresh fish for dinner is keeping me poor lol fingers crossed we can get this under control and ease bsck on the medication, kind regards and well done on your success
    Best wishes
    Debbie

5. Eddy Edson

Eddy Edson Well-Known Member

Type 2
    I hesitate to say "Nonsense!" because I'm no expert ... but nonsense! :)

Every guideline I've seen from a credible organisation recommends weight loss for T2's, at least if they're overweight (and maybe even if not - I wasn't, particularly, but I've got the D tamed for now via losing weight).

Did she give any reasons for this odd opinion? Maybe there's some special situation.

Anyway, welcome and kudos for doing all the right things for your son. I'd say there's every reason to hope for good outcomes from the diet changes and weight loss.

DebbieC likes this.
  6. Drummer

Type 2
    I wonder why you are making such expensive choices.
    My chicken thighs, eggs, cheese, sausages and tuna do me quite well enough - I buy frozen fish from Lidl, and their prepared salad - I do get the multipacks of chops and steaks as well, but if anything eating low carb is cheaper, long term than a 'normal' diet would have been.

7. DebbieC

DebbieC Active Member

Parent

8. DebbieC

DebbieC Active Member

Parent
    Hi drummer
    I guess I am enjoying spoiling him but it’s good to know there are cheaper alternatives in the long run plus I’m enjoying the 5 star dining too

silentsquirrel likes this.
  9. DebbieC

DebbieC Active Member

Parent

10. DebbieC

DebbieC Active Member

Parent
    Hi Eddie thanks for your message, no she just keeps saying it’s not his weight that’s the problem but I think having a big tummy all around his middle and having BMI of 30 is a massive problem and that shifting this together with keeping active and eating lots of really healthy low carb fresh food is better than just piling drugs into him... anyway I said I was going to try and see if we can put this in remission but she pulled a face then said ‘prove me wrong ‘.... well we can but try x

silentsquirrel likes this.
  11. DebbieC

DebbieC Active Member

Parent

12. DebbieC

DebbieC Active Member

Parent
    hi Drummer
    Do you have any ideas for low carb desserts I can try for my son please, he’s having sugar free jellies but am trying to get away from sweet stuff obviously but something he could have as a treat?
    Thanks
    Debbie

13. Drummer

Type 2
    The sugar free jellies are something many people use.
    I have made desserts with them by mixing in yoghurts when almost cool, then whipping them so that they set with bubbles in. I also make them double strength and drop in a bag of frozen berries.
    Making ice cream is another option - use cream and eggs to make a custard, then freeze it, if you do not have an icecream maker beat the mixture as it sets and fold in frozen fruit - break up frozen berries which have been allowed to soften slightly, add when the mix is on the point of freezing. It is very rich so small portions are enough to satisfy.
    There are many recipes for chilled or frozen low carb treats - using high cocoa chocolate, cream etc - look for 'fat bombs' and you should find all sorts of treats you can either use or adapt.
    I have a waffle maker which is useful for 'chaffles' - basically beaten egg and grated cheese mixed together and either cooked as is or with various things added to make them either sweet or savoury - there are lots of recipes and the waffle makers are not expensive, plus they are fun.
    I believe that there are more flavourings becoming available all the time in sugar free forms - some with more artificial colours and flavours than I'd like, but it shows that there is an increasing market and supply usually follows demand. Try Amazon - there are sources for such things as low carb flours, almond or coconut, psyllium husk, and various sweeteners, thickeners etc. available there, and on other sites, which are very useful.

14. everydayupsanddowns

everydayupsanddowns Moderator

Type 1
    Sorry to hear about your son’s diagnosis @DebbieC but well done on your progress so far.

It can be good to find some sweets and treats that suit a wonky metabolism, but quite often members here say that their tastes change over a period of months and that things that they used to crave no longer have much appeal when they finally do ‘treat’ themselves.

Berries and cream seem to be a bit of a go-to. As is a square dark chocolate eaten more slowly for the same ‘chocolate fix’ as a half a bar of milk.

Nigel Slater used to do a fab dessert which was based around a handful of berries (with an optional splash of brandy/liqueur and blob of jam) baked in an oven in little foil parcels for about 10 minutes which we’ve had several times and is absolutely fabulous! As you open the parcel in front of you you get a heady aroma of sweet/sharp fruit wafting up. Then eat with double cream or ice cream depending on what your body copes best with.

15. DebbieC

DebbieC Active Member

Parent

16. DebbieC

DebbieC Active Member

Parent
    Thank you very much will try some of your ideas...

17. DebbieC

DebbieC Active Member

Parent

18. DebbieC

DebbieC Active Member

Parent
    Hi thank you for your help and best wishes
    Debbie

everydayupsanddowns likes this.
  19. DebbieC

DebbieC Active Member

Parent
    Hi everyone, so about a month on meds and tested son’s BG few times, first 7.1 after breakfast, second time week later 4.9 before dinner, last night 5.2 after 2 course dinner in restaurant... would levels drop to this just on meds in such short time ? (Metformin 1000 am and pm and 1/2 gliclazide am 20mg)?

20. Docb

Docb Well-Known Member

Type 2
    Meds plus low carb did it for me in a month so it is possible. Is his weight still dropping? If so that might be helping.

DebbieC likes this.