Parent Help Advice......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lisa999

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Hello everyone.
I am hoping that I may be able to get some advice for my 19 year old son. He is on injections - refuses a pump - nova rapid and tresiba. He rarely engages with us with his diabetes and so we never know what is going on. He has struggled over the last month and is waking up around 15 in the morning having gone to bed at 5 - he says his alarms are not going off for the libre . He is on 30 units of tresiba (but is 100kg and 6ft 5) - so my question is what kind of dose should he be on for the tresiba and how do I get the alarms on the libre to work?

Any advice help greatly appreciated.

Welcome @Lisa999 Sorry to hear about your son’s problems. I don’t use the Libre myself now but many here do. I know there have been issues after some updates but others will be able to help with that. When I did use the Libre, I had a receiver. That would be one option if he can’t get the alarms to work on his phone. Regarding his Tresiba, the individual’s weight gives a rough idea of dose but we’re all different so there’s no definite dose, just what we each need to control our blood sugar.

How long has he been diagnosed? If he’s been diagnosed recently, it’s possible his basal needs are changing as his remaining beta cells die off. It’s also possible it’s a basal change due to the weather. Some people’s basal doses vary over the year.

Well if he uses his phone, it's quite possible the prog has been uprated since he uploaded it and so he might need to completely uninstall the App and re-install it. iPhone or Android for starters?

Nobody here can possibly advise on doses but we all simply need as much insulin or as little, as we need! - and the sole person in the entire world with his body - is him!

Welcome @Lisa999 Sorry to hear about your son’s problems. I don’t use the Libre myself now but many here do. I know there have been issues after some updates but others will be able to help with that. When I did use the Libre, I had a receiver. That would be one option if he can’t get the alarms to work on his phone. Regarding his Tresiba, the individual’s weight gives a rough idea of dose but we’re all different so there’s no definite dose, just what we each need to control our blood sugar.

How long has he been diagnosed? If he’s been diagnosed recently, it’s possible his basal needs are changing as his remaining beta cells die off. It’s also possible it’s a basal change due to the weather. Some people’s basal doses vary over the year.
Thank you Inca - he has been diagnosed for 5 years and we have had better control than we have now. Thanks for the advice re the weather. He had to reduce his tresiba in August as he kept waking up low. But now he has gone the other way it seems.

Thank you Inca - he has been diagnosed for 5 years and we have had better control than we have now. Thanks for the advice re the weather. He had to reduce his tresiba in August as he kept waking up low. But now he has gone the other way it seems.

If he’s still at that reduced August dose, then it’s possible he simply needs more Tresiba. @Proud to be erratic is a Tresiba user and familiar with its vagaries. If he’s finding the Tresiba not as biddable as he wishes, there are other basal insulins he could try. They don’t last as long as Tresiba which makes it easier to make adjustments and seethe results more quickly. Also, many people find a twice daily basal gives more flexibility due to being able to adjust one dose without affecting the other.

My phone suddenly became incompatible with the Libre 2 and the alarms became unavailable. I tried everything suggested by Abbott to get them working again, but no joy. In the end, I emailed Abbott and asked for a reader, which I now use instead. 🙂 I hope your son can get them working again!

Hello @Lisa999, has your son been on Tresiba all the time or has he previously experienced any other basal?

I find Tresiba very helpful for my circumstances and I don't need to vary my dose often. I certainly increase in the autumn and decrease in the spring; and I sometimes need to alter it once or twice at other times - for example if I am experiencing a lengthy bout of illness. But I am the wrong side of 70 and am finding that age is interfering with my ability to bounce back from other ailments!!

In principle I aim to get steady BG throughout each night and I can use the evidence from my CGM graphs to confirm that. If I'm falling over a series of successive nights then I will reduce my Tresiba - a little (typically from 9 to 8.5 units) and then wait at least 48 hrs, then reassess over the next few days. If I'm habitually rising over a series of successive nights then I'll increase my Tresiba dose. I simply don't alter my Tresiba doses from the evidence of a single night; there are so many other factors that can affect our BG that it would be unreasonable to assume that a trend from one night is reliable evidence.

But certain caveats are really important with Tresiba:
1. Each day's dose lasts about 40 hrs, so today's dose is topping up yesterday's dose. Dose changes need time to take effect.
2. If your son is regularly eating meals late in the evening, then monitoring basal (Tresiba) performance overnight can't really start before the digestion of that food has reached his bloodstream and any bolus taken has fully dissipated. NR would normally last 4 hrs for me. Tresiba works best when a certain amount of regular and consistent lifestyle is in place.
3. Once I've got my Tresiba keeping me steady each night (and when it doesn't I can usually identify why - eg: a big routine change, an exceptionally active day, a late night out wining and dining .... ) then I regulate my BG through each day and into the evening solely by my NR bolus along with snacks if going low or exercise and activity if going high. I do not expect to use my basal to influence or alter my BG during the day.

I can imagine that a 19 Yr old who is not generally sharing with his parents about his daily D management might well also not be looking after himself as much as we might expect or hope. I certainly felt invincible when I was a teenager and my behaviour, in hindsight, could have been wiser and better. Alcohol can, and usually does, interfere with digestion; our body sees alcohol as a poison and diverts all its resources into dealing with that poison. So metabolism gets held up and its likely that conversion of food into blood glucose doesn't get completed until after any bolus is no longer effective - hence the glucose arrives after the insulin has finished and one's BG steadily rises. Incidentally while a rise through the night from 5 to 15 is far from ideal it isn't horrendous - particularly if its falling back to 5 during the day. Over a very long period it's not good and I understand that Glycaemic Variability can lead to longer term problems; but this is a secondary aspect. The main thing right now is to try and identify why your son's BG management is adrift and get that stabilised.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back