Paranoia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silkman_Bob

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
This may sound like a daft question, but it one I have been thinking about for a while now.

Before I was diagnosed, I would not have said that I was a worrier - in fact sometimes I was too chilled out for my own good!

Since diagnosis, all I have been doing is worrying about this that and the other - to the extent where I am sure some people think that I am a hypercondriac!

Every little twitch or tingle and I find I am bricking it, thinking oh no that could be serious!

Its doing my head in now but the more I think that I should chill, the harder it is.

I have never really been ill before so this whole thing has been a shock to me - but has anyone else experienced the same sort of thing, or any words of wisdom about how to get rid?

hi silk i think most of us now are alot more aware of our bodies etc etc i cant say i worry infact i think i am now the opposite, it actually takes my o/h to say to me now get to the docs cause i would rather leave it and get through whatever the ailment is , i think im scared to go to the GP now actually incase me says i have something else , but i would rather block things out more alot more so pre-diagnosis.I would say the stress and worry will do nothing for your blood sugars, get yourself along to the library and maybe read up on a few things , keep your mind active and busy and then you may not think of every little tingle and twinch quite so much

Last edited:
hi silkman bob,

it sounds to me that you feel this way due to the fact you had never really been ill before and then all of a sudden you have diabetes and it is life changing. it is natural to worry about ones health and also to worry when you are suddenly face with a huge change in life. we all find comfort and safety in our own ways. i think if you try and find something to relax you, you may find that the worries will subside. you may find that you will relax more and find you no longer worry. it does take time though. i find that a nice walk or a talk with the "big man upstairs" works for me (but im not a pushy godbod lol).

You have had a massive shock and need time to adjust to your new status and to a way of living. It took me a good while to realise that every little thing was not necessarily a harbinger of doom laden diabetic consequences but that the dratted condition might make some things more difficult to shake off.

It does get easier as you learn more about how different things affect you and as your body gets used to lower levels of blood glucose as well. For me, I had to read up widely on this, ask questions on here and of my health care team as well as people I know who are also Type 2 - I've also learnt not to accept health symptoms but to get checked over as ignoring a myriad of little niggles no doubt contributed to a late diagnosis of diabetes

Remember to be kind to yourself, I think your behaviour and concerns are perfectly normal for someone so newly diagnosed

This may sound like a daft question, but it one I have been thinking about for a while now.

Before I was diagnosed, I would not have said that I was a worrier - in fact sometimes I was too chilled out for my own good!

Since diagnosis, all I have been doing is worrying about this that and the other - to the extent where I am sure some people think that I am a hypercondriac!

Every little twitch or tingle and I find I am bricking it, thinking oh no that could be serious!

Its doing my head in now but the more I think that I should chill, the harder it is.

I have never really been ill before so this whole thing has been a shock to me - but has anyone else experienced the same sort of thing, or any words of wisdom about how to get rid?

It is hard not to worry sometimes, we all do it.

Try keeping a diary, make a note of things like your mood, the weather and the time of day. Do you get these sensations more late in the day when you are sleepy or early in the day or around meal times? Then you will have a record you can take to the doctor if you're still worried and have a chat to him.

Before the diabetes the most serious thing I'd ever had was a baby, and I'm still here to tell the tale. I don't want to trivialise how you feel, but am hoping to make the point.

I hope you feel better and have had some reassuring words from other people too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back