Paracetamol and CGM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amity Island

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi Everyone,

It appears using paracetamol can cause higher readings for those using cgm. Apparently, libre is unaffected by it. Has anyone any experience of this?

The Freestyle Libre is also the only CGM system on the market with no acetaminophen interference. Dexcom and Medtronic CGM systems give falsely high glucose readings when a patient takes acetaminophen (paracetamol).

No input on technology but paracetamol throws my pancreas and liver into chaos so not allowed it now, might be of no use but wanted to mention.

The Freestyle Libre is also the only CGM system on the market with no acetaminophen interference. Dexcom and Medtronic CGM systems give falsely high glucose readings when a patient takes acetaminophen (paracetamol).
This is old news Dexcom fixed the problem when G6 came out. In fact it's so old the article is 4 years old.

I regularly take paracetamols and have not spotted a pattern in my BG changes. My BG goes up when I am in pain, but that could also be due to paracetamol. Interesting.

This no longer applies to Dexcom sensors.

There is a mention in the handbook for Medtronic G3 / G4, but I can’t say I ever noticed a problematic interaction when I was wearing those.

(see bottom of page 1 under ‘Warnings’)
Thanks for the info. I am going to monitor when I am taking paracetamol.
I suspect that this may explain a few weird hypos, but will check that these match.

Whenever I report a faulty Dexcom G7 sensor, one of the questions I am asked is whether I have taken paracetamol. I always answer no because it so happens that I’m allergic to it. But, this suggests it is still something to consider when using the Dexcom (G7 at least)?

Whenever I report a faulty Dexcom G7 sensor, one of the questions I am asked is whether I have taken paracetamol. I always answer no because it so happens that I’m allergic to it. But, this suggests it is still something to consider when using the Dexcom (G7 at least)?
Thanks.

There is an article here comparing G7 and Libre 3. Seems paracetamol is only an issue for G6 and G7 if taken above the max recommended 1000mg dose. Vitamin C above 500mg a day is a problem with the Libre.

Interesting that they are still asking the question about paracetamol though.

No it doesn't it's stated on the blurb with G7 and G6 that taking normal doses of paracetamol will not affect sensors.

I was just about to order my first 12 month starter pack of Guardian 4 sensors. However I then checked and everywhere I read says that paracetamol can interact producing falsely elevated results. As I am on the maximum dose of paracetamol a day as part of a cocktail of painkillers I have emailed Medtronic to check whether Guardian 4 sensors are safe with paracetamol. I can't stop taking the paracetamol because otherwise I would need to be on stronger painkillers.

I have emailed Medtronic to check whether Guardian 4 sensors are safe with paracetamol.

What a nuisance for you @AJLang :(

Let us know what Medtronic say.

Oh I just came across this maybe this is something I should keep in mind well trying dex(Ill still have my own and off issues so will sometimes take them).

Can't say I've noticed any difference when taking paracetamol using libre & now dexcom g6.

Think its best to keep in mind if your taking paracetamol for pain colds or whatever then the condition might be causing bg rise not your paracetamol Intake.

Medtronic have phoned me and confirmed what their literature says that the paracetamol can affect the sensor readings but it does depend upon the individual. The literature states “avoid taking paracetamol whilst in auto mode” This is in the Medtronic safety warnings. I discussed with the lady who phoned and I may try one or two sensors to see how it works with me taking paracetamol at maximum dose but obviously not in Smartguard whilst testing it.

Hi Amanda
I also take full dose of paracetamol at times. When I do I know that the sensor readings can be impacted. I have found that lifting my Smartguard target Bg up one notch avoids me getting unexplained lows. That might work for you too, or perhaps lift it two notches. I tested this with some BG readings for a while and it seemed to account for the impact on the sensor readings, and avoided over corrections. I hope this helps

If things like pain killers can affect these things could other mediation affect it(things citalopram) I know people might not no the answer.

If things like pain killers can affect these things could other mediation affect it(things citalopram) I know people might not no the answer.
With any medication it is a case of reading the PIL and checking more when you change the meds. We all react in different ways, but I know that there were warnings about drugs containing paracetamol, so it is a case of finding alternatives or workarounds.

With any medication it is a case of reading the PIL and checking more when you change the meds.
When you say Pil what does that mean

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back