panretinal laser photocoagulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

paul.johnson

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi, Anybody had the above laser treatment on their eyes,if so can you tell me any effects, like PAIN .lol and any after effects.cheers. i go to hospital on 18 Oct..

Just to wish you good luck on the 18th.🙂

Sorry, can't help otherwise.

Good luck withthe treatment. Have they explained the procedure to you? Might pay to ask them too.

Good luck with this treatment I'm afraid that I can't advise as I haven't had this type of laser. Please let us know how you get on

Hi there like the others i cant help or share expereince with that particular treatment but i wanted to wish you luck for the 18th x

Usually, I find this website good for unfamiliar medical terms, but the nearest information it can offer is http://www.patient.co.uk/health/Local-Anaesthesia-for-your-Eye-Operation.htm

I'm not trying to be flippant, but have you asked whoever referred you for Panretinal Laser Photocoagulation? There are lots of types of lazer treatments for lots of reasons, so I'm reluctant to offer any more information myself.

Hi Paul,

I've had this lasering for proliferative retinopathy a few times now, due to the retinopathy being accelerated by pregnancy hormones! I'll describe how it is for me, as personally I knew someone who'd had lasering & quizzed them before I had mine - I was glad I did as the docs didn't tell me anything beforehand! I'm the kind of person who likes to know lol!

There is a fairly useful leaflet from the RNIB "eye conditions related to diabetes" which covers a bit of background on the various treatments & what they are like. It describes lasering as can be 'uncomfortable' but I guess everyone's comfort threshold is different lol!

I guess there may be minor differences between clinics but for me what happens is I go along, do a sight test, (as in the letter chart), they put 2 different sets of drops in the eyes, wait a while, doc takes a look. He generally does this using the frame on the table thing (sorry, no idea what it's called, you sit down, lean forward & pop your chin on the rest & lean your head against the forehead strap, so they can have a close look with those magnifying lenses & bright lights!). Once doc has assessed the eyes, if lasering is necessary we go off to a special room specifically for the laser. He puts local anasthetic drops in the eye to be lasered, then places what they call a 'contact lens' against the eye - this thing is more like the size of an eye bath, and he uses it to control to some degree where your eye is looking, although you will still need to be good (!) and look at wherever he/she directs you. Sometimes the contact lens feels a bit uncomfortable, as I guess we're not used to something that solid in contact with the eye, but it's not too bad. The set up is similar to the rig I described above, with the different there is a big box next to you (the laser!) which hums a bit! 🙂 Again you will have to sit forward & keep your head in the frame as it were. The laser light is a brilliant green, the best way to describe how the actual lasering feels is it is a bit like when you step out of deep shadow into brilliant sunlight and want to blink, except of course you can't! 🙄 Some times, when you've had a lot of lasering done it can be a bit painful, a bit like being poked in the eye, but at the back of the eye (hardly surprising I guess!) but it's generally not as bad as it sounds. If it's bad let the doc know, as they can tinker with the power setting of the laser to some degree. To date I've had all my lasering with the 'normal' laser where you sit to have it done, but I have been told I might have to have some done with the theatre laser, where you are lying down & the laser is stronger - I suspect if it's the first time you're having it done it will be a sitting job?? I have heard about taking paracetemol before lasering but to be honest, it's not really helped me that much during the actual process. Personally I find my eye(s) can be sensitive for a few days after, particularly to vdu's / tv's / fluorescent light etc, and I have had quite bad headaches, but everyone's different & I understand this is not that common so don't panic! I also tend to notice a slight bleed more often than not after a laser session, but I'm not sure if that's normal or not; might be worth asking your doc what to do if that happens to you.

I hope that helps - lasering isn't a bundle of fun but honestly, it's not as bad as it sounds...I still get stressed & a bit down when I know I've got to have it done, but I suspect that's just the emotional aspect rather than the actual experience. Fingers crossed you're experience will be as per the leaflets / official nhs advice which is just that it can be 'uncomfortable'! The good news is the earlier they do it the better chance of needing less lasering & not losing too much peripheral vision - I've had a fair bit to date & not noticed any change (apart from slightly worse night vision) to date.

Wishing you all the best!

Twitchy x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back