Panic

MEM

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Well now I’m in a fix. reordered Lixisenatide Wednesday 0058 hrs online to GP surgery GP rand me same day at 10am to say recent HbA1c has gone up to 81 since Feb when it was 68. Today at pharmacy they don’t yet have the prescription. I inject my last dose tomorrow and I can’t contact my GP until Monday
can I take some metformin Monday morning. Or do I just let things go wrong?
GP also told me I am now in the extremely vulnerable group re Covid. Feeling really frustrated. I can’t reorder again as the online system won’t let me until 4 weeks time Maybe they just want me as a statistic
apologies for rant

Pumper_Sue

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
With the pandemic there is a longer wait for prescriptions. Just ring your pharmacy 1st thing Monday morning and ask if it is and ready to collect as you have run out.

Taking Met wont do you any good as it takes about 6 weeks to build up in your system.

As the system wont let you reorder it's just means the prescription has been issued so just waiting for dispensing/collection now.

MEM

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Thanks Sue I wasn’t helped today by the pharmacy assistant sending me off with someone else’s meds. I discovered this fact when I got home and took them back immediately. Moral here: always check myself that the package has my name on it before leaving the desk.

Becka

If you pharmacy is open tomorrow you can go and ask if you can have an emergency prescription. With some exceptions, a pharmacist can legally give you up to 30 days worth of a medicine you have been previously prescribed (which should be on their system as evidence) if you need it immediately and they agree it is medically appropriate. They then normally discount the dose they provide from the prescription when it arrives.

At the worst, if they do not think it appropriate to issue one then you will know it is safe to let things go until you do have a prescription.

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Thanks Sue I wasn’t helped today by the pharmacy assistant sending me off with someone else’s meds. I discovered this fact when I got home and took them back immediately. Moral here: always check myself that the package has my name on it before leaving the desk.
Hope you manage to get is sorted pronto on Monday @MEM, if you were sent out with the wrong bag - is there any chance your meds had been given to someone else?? Was the prescription sent electronically? Did they check on their system to see it had been received / processed?

What a hassle for you!

But yes... many year’s experience has taught me to arrange a restock when I have at least a week or two if supplies in hand, in case of unexpected delays. Particularly around Bank Holiday weekend times!

Pumper_Sue

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1

SB2015

Forum Host
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi @Becka
I hope that you can get is sorted. The electronic system is sending prescriptions should help, and it can often arrive the day it is ordered if your GP is there.

Well worth ringing the pharmacy. Some are open on Sundays.

rebrascora

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi MEM

Have you started eating lower carb yet? If so, this is usually a more powerful tool in controlling your Blood Glucose levels than the medication, so if you have started cutting back on the carbs as discussed in your intro thread then there is probably less of a panic about your prescription. Do you have a Blood Glucose meter and are you using it regularly and if so and you have started reducing your carbs, are you seeing improved results yet? I know it is still quite early days but you will usually start to see some reduction in just 48hrs with it particularly when you are starting from quite a high level like yours would be with an HbA1c of 81.