PANIC ATTACKS

Status
Not open for further replies.

rosalindb

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
Pronouns
She/Her
Over the past 30 days I have been panicking over nothing, it began when my precious Pumpkin the kitty went off colour and found out he is diabetic. I've have great training from vet nurse with regards to his insulin shots and I felt prepared because of my own diabetes (although me type 2). Diabetes UK and the great people on here gave me an invaluable insight on things to ask, after type 1 is type 1 regardless of species. I asked about hypos and what to expect in a kitty, I have dextrose powder from local chemist to give him with a syringe, obviously without the needle. Well I go on Tuesday for a review in the morning and then go to vet in afternoon for my boy. Its a panic attacks that are affecting me now. So if I ever find myself needing insulin in future I have been well taught by Phoebe the vet nurse, so no fear IF it ever happens. Pumpkin gets his usual Whiskas but finding he is preferring kitten food at present time. Call me daft but I have been paw pricking to check his sugars, he lets me do the thankfully. Same range for him as me. How has anyone coped with a diabetic pet? Vet is happy with how he is getting on but was surprised I paw pricked and said if he co-operates and is in limits of between 4 and 6 he will be fine. I don't sleep well because I worry, after he is my boy and love him to the moon and back.

Thank you for letting me get this off my chest.

It’s always upsetting when pets are ill or develop medical conditions @rosalindb But it sounds like you’re doing really well. You’ve taken on board what the vet said and you’re really looking after your kitty. He’s very lucky to have you.

I had a diabetic dog who I had to inject every day, but I never monitored glucose levels, that was done at the vets. The wee soul managed for 3 more years with daily injections, plus steroids for enlarged heart and COPD. She remained happy until the end at 17, so I'm sure Pumpkin will be just fine. Especially as you are caring for him so well. {{{Hugs to you}}} x

I don't know about hypo symptoms in a cat but when I looked after a diabetic dog for a couple of weeks, when hypo she became confused and unsteady on her feet. I had to give her honey or a sachet of sugar and make sure she ate her ration of food.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back