Pancreas removal and alcohol

Status
Not open for further replies.

pauloliver59

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 3c
I had my pancreas removed 17 years ago due to chronic pancreatitis which the cause was put down to idiopathic. As red wine is known to be beneficial, (this is a genuine curiosity question) because I have no pancreas left to damage can I drink the occasional glass ? Anyones thoughts

I have never heard of red wine being banned for any type of diabetic, why would you avoid it if you want the occasional glass?

Can't really comment but I would suggest that it is better to say that red wine is said to be beneficial rather than known to be beneficial.

I had my pancreas removed 17 years ago due to chronic pancreatitis which the cause was put down to idiopathic. As red wine is known to be beneficial, (this is a genuine curiosity question) because I have no pancreas left to damage can I drink the occasional glass ? Anyones thoughts
I don’t have a pancreas, I don’t drink red wine as I don’t like like it,but I do drink white wine as I like it not for any other reason. I’m not a big drinker by any stretch of the imagination but no one has ever said to me don’t drink alcohol. As in everything in life, a bit of what you fancy does you good. Try it and see, you might find, like me, your intolerance is low so be careful.

I have never heard of red wine being banned for any type of diabetic, why would you avoid it if you want the occasional glass?
It's nothing to do with diabetes , it's the pancreatic side of things that Paul is asking about 🙂 @mikeyB can you help out?

I enjoy a glass or two of red every so often, and it doesn’t seem to affect my BGs much if at all. 🙂

Having said that, isn’t it the liver rather than the pancreas that’s usually worried about with drinking?

Moderation probably wise!

Smoking tobacco, drinking alcohol and fatty and spicy foods are known to irritate the pancreas...I had idiopathic acute pancreatitis 8 years ago. If you have no pancreas then then it cannot be inflamed by these products. So long as you go cautiously and count carbs if necessary I would imagine it would be okay to have the occasional alcoholic drink. You cannot live like a monk all your life, you must enjoy the small things if you can!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back