painful skin? advice please

Status
Not open for further replies.

will2016

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I was diagnosed type 2 in March 2010, was on Metformin and was unable to function, (toilet troubles) so now on Gliclazid, seems to agree with me, however some time ago, about diagnosis time, the skin on the top and back of my head became very tender, no rash or redness or broken skin, just sore to the touch, this has now spread to other parts of my body, my back and tummy, legs and feet are not affected, to the extent that even my clothes touching me hurts, i have no pins and needles or numbness anywhere just touch sore, and still no sign of redness and rash, a friend who is type one has suggested it is, neuropathy, caused by a vitamin B deficiency which is common with all types of Diabetis? and is treatable and cureable? can anyone help me please? im due at the doctors tomorrow and would like to know what i'm takling about beforehand if possible, any help would be really appreciated.

Last edited:
Hi Will sorry to hear of this sore skin you mention, i have just been told i have neuropathy in my feet,sorry ive never heard of it effecting the head before, hope someone can come along and help you out alot better then i can

P.S good luck for tomorrow.

Hi Will, I have heard before that long term use of metformin can lead to vitamin B deficiency, but since you were only on it a short time it doesn't seem likely that that is the culprit. There may be other reasons for Vit B deficiency - I have heard other members mention that they receive Vit B injections to overcome it.

It may be that, since diagnosis, your levels have become much improved through treatment and this can lead to a temporary increase in sensitivity whilst your body readjusts - this is most normally felt in the extremities though. Hope your doctor can help you out tomorrow. 🙂

Last edited:
Alan - that was an interesting point

My GP told me almost just after I was diagnosed, that I needed B12 jabs, which I have every 3 months (almost 10 years now). At no time was the use of Metformin ever mentioned.

I was not on Metformin for a few years in the middle but still had to have the B12 jabs during that time

Strange - all I know is that after 10 weeks I seem to wind down and know exactly that it is almost time for the new jab.

Sore skin no - but I do have a lot of skin discolouration.

My father has been on Metformin for approx 8 years and has a vitamin B12 deficiency and gets the B12 jab every 3 months. He also has very bad eczema but i am not sure if the two are connected.

Metfomin can cause B12 deficiency as it interferes with the parietal cells in the stomach that secrete intrinsic factor. Intrinsic factor is required as B12 will not be asorbed without it... (I paid attention in that lecture 😉 )

Good luck at the doctors tomorrow.

Thanks all for all the advice, been to the doc and none the wiser really, he reckons its a virus and probably unconnected, doing a urine test see if anything shows up, feeling a bit better today, so thats good, again thanks for the advice this forum is amazing for that and I and i'm sure many others really appreciate it, i play online Scrabble and one of my regular opponents OH was diagnosed as type 2 and i put them onto the site and they report lots of help, so it really shows it works 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back