Painful legs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bics

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi. Recently I've been getting terrible pains in my legs and a clicking in my left knee. The pains are everyday. They don't keep me awake at night and doesn't seem to hurt when I'm walking. I am overweight and know I need to loose also my job requires me to be sitting on the floor a lot as I work with babies in a nursery. Getting up sometimes makes my knee hurt and I get the feeling of needing to stretch my legs a lot. Does anyone know what this could be please? Thanks

Sorry to hear about your aches and pains @Lumpipdip :(

Sounds like they are making things difficult for you. Has this come on suddenly? Or has it been building for some time?

Is it worse when you have been exercising a lot? Or do you get any relief when your legs have ‘warmed up’? Are you getting cramps where your muscles ‘lock up’ or dies it feel like more general stiffness? Are the pains equally on both sides or is it mostly in one leg or the other?

Have you spoken to your GP about it?

Hope you can get to the bottom of it. Recurrent aches and pains can be very wearying :(

That pain and clicking is an entirely mechanical problem, particularly if it doesn’t limit your walking or affect your sleep. You need to discuss this with your GP, but I know exactly what he/she will say. You need to lose some weight to to take the mechanical strain off your knees. It’s a common problem in either sex, the treatment is the same.

Nothing long lasting to worry about, it will go away if you lose weight. You don’t need to be stick thin, just lose enough to stop it. Your knees will be your guide.

I know it’s unusual for offering medical advice on the forum, but I was a GP, and I’ve seen this problem so many times. It’s nothing to do with diabetes, but it is why weight lifters almost always wear knee supports ( which might well help with your symptoms).

That pain and clicking is an entirely mechanical problem, particularly if it doesn’t limit your walking or affect your sleep. You need to discuss this with your GP, but I know exactly what he/she will say. You need to lose some weight to to take the mechanical strain off your knees. It’s a common problem in either sex, the treatment is the same.

Nothing long lasting to worry about, it will go away if you lose weight. You don’t need to be stick thin, just lose enough to stop it. Your knees will be your guide.

I know it’s unusual for offering medical advice on the forum, but I was a GP, and I’ve seen this problem so many times. It’s nothing to do with diabetes, but it is why weight lifters almost always wear knee supports ( which might well help with your symptoms).
Thankyou so much. Yes I know I do need to loose weight. Strange thing is my legs do not ache when walking around. I thought it may be sciatica as it sometimes is aching hips too. It's only my left knee that clicks when sitting for a long time.

Sorry to hear about your aches and pains @Lumpipdip :(

Sounds like they are making things difficult for you. Has this come on suddenly? Or has it been building for some time?

Is it worse when you have been exercising a lot? Or do you get any relief when your legs have ‘warmed up’? Are you getting cramps where your muscles ‘lock up’ or dies it feel like more general stiffness? Are the pains equally on both sides or is it mostly in one leg or the other?

Have you spoken to your GP about it?

Hope you can get to the bottom of it. Recurrent aches and pains can be very wearying :(
I have a GP appointment next week so will ask about it then. My legs are fine when walking it's sitting they start to have a nagging ache. Especially my left leg and knee which clicks. I thought it would be sciatica as my hips have been aching a bit too.
Think it is down to my weight management to be honest. I'm finding it so hard with what foods I can and can't eat.

I have a GP appointment next week so will ask about it then. My legs are fine when walking it's sitting they start to have a nagging ache. Especially my left leg and knee which clicks. I thought it would be sciatica as my hips have been aching a bit too.
Think it is down to my weight management to be honest. I'm finding it so hard with what foods I can and can't eat.

Hope your GP appointment is helpful @Lumpipdip

Nerve-related leg pain connected to your diabetes would usually be expected to develop simultaneously on both sides I think, so hopefully it is not connected to any nerve damage.

Sounds very unpleasant and uncomfortable for you, so I hope some positive suggestions can be offered.

Forum members have had success with weight loss in the past with a variety of different strategies including low calorie, low carbohydrate and intermittent fasting, so it seems like you have to find the one at works for you, and which you can sustain - and which also supports your blood glucose management.

Some forum members who have focussed on moderating / reducing their total carbohydrate intake to improve their BG levels often seem to find that weight loss happens as an unexpected bonus 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back