Painful joints

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flash

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi all, all of my joints are becoming really painful. I’m taking 3 x 500mg Metformin daily since being diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in June last year and Simvastatin for many years. Is it possible that my problems are being caused by Metformin? Thanks people..

Hi all, all of my joints are becoming really painful. I’m taking 3 x 500mg Metformin daily since being diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in June last year and Simvastatin for many years. Is it possible that my problems are being caused by Metformin? Thanks people..
Metformin can affect absorption of Vitamin B12 from foods and low B12 can cause joint pains etc. I would ask your G P for a blood test which will check for Vit B12 and if low you will need 3 monthly B12 injections.
Oral B12 will not work as it is the absorption mechanism that is affected hence an injection.

I took Metformin and Atorvastatin for only a few weeks and had dreadful aches and pains, plus all the other side effects, some of which took months to go away after I decided to stop taking them.

Your specific question as to whether Metformin is the cause is probably not. And it won’t be the Simvastatin either, you’ve been on that for years.

You say all your joints are becoming painful. I would recommend that you tell your doctor about it, and let him or her decide on the best options for investigation. And any blood tests that you might need. You haven’t been on Metformin long enough to have any significant effect on your B12, not that a deficiency of B12 ever causes such symptoms as you describe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back