Painful injections

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carynb

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
J has just started injecting into his tummy and finds it more painful than his thighs which he bearly feels at all.
He won't do it in his tummy now himself but will let me do it.
Is it normal for it to be more painful in the tummy?

Caryn:confused:

Last edited:
I think it varies from person to person, and on exactly where you stick the needle in.

I find I barely feel the thighs too, but they tend to bleed more, or sometimes the insulin leaks straight out again and I'm not sure how much went in, whereas this happens less with the tummy.

I also use the fatty areas around the top of my hip bones/waist (although not sure if this would work on a 8 year old boy, probably not enough fat!).

Some people also try upper arms, which I tried once and it wasn't painful, but I'm reluctant to use that area as bruising would be more visible than on my tummy, which I keep covered!

I find the stomach painful if I inject above the belly button or close to it, I prefer the love handle area which i don't find painful.
It is important to rotate the sites so maybe you can find a slighty different place that he doesn't mind.

Sorry to hear J is having trouble, did J inject in his tummy before?

As other said it is important to rotate, and to be honest I can find part of my stomach more painful, maybe identify which areas are out of bounds! work it out by which side, how far to the side and position in height in relation to belly button.

Additionally I used to find my right hand side a lot more uncomfortable than my left, I joined a thread on here, and it seemed that people generally (not scientific proven) were move sensitive on the side of their body (legs and tummies) which they used more, i.e. right handed people more sensitive (hurt more) on the right side of tummy and right leg!

Hope you find some more comfortable sites soon.

Rossi

I spoke to my uncle about this he is t1 and has been since 94 and he says it does hurt him more in the tummy then anywhere else, he tends to go for the thigh or like sofaraway said nearer the love handles are far easier for him .

I agree with J! I find injecting in the stomach painful, compared to doing elsewhere -thighs, bottom and tops of arms... I havent done it in my tummy since I was made to try it as a child. As long as you rotate with other areas, why make him do it in an area he finds painful?

Very good point Hev.

Another thought, try pinching, it might help??

We're in a catch 22 position as he wants to do it in tummy then he doesn't have to pull his trousers down at school to get to his legs!! It was fine in the summer as he wore shorts all day. He will now let me do it in his tummy and as you've said pinching makes it a bit better and so does doing it really slowly. Don't want to make a big thing about it with him so will just go easy on the little chap! Thanks for your advice guys!

C 🙂

i try to do the same with graham but he does not want even me to do it i try to show him howit works on my belly but i have more fot than a 5 years old

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back