Painful chillblanes - toes and feet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lilly

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Chilblains. I am type 1 for 6 years. Last 3 years suffering with chilblains. I have used Deep Heat and other stuff to no avail. Any suggestions please.

Snowfire (like a giant chapstick) is very good for chillblains @Lilly Also, wear thick-soled warm slippers indoor. You can also get good quality thermal socks that help a lot. Make sure you’re not standing on cold floors, even with slippers on. Put down a rug.

Thank you. I have tried Snowfire also Deep Heat. Been to podiatary and they don.t seem to know what to do which is annoying. Just been googling

I've had chillblaines since i was very young. I also have very cold feet and hands (reynauds). The best way I've found to prevent them is to always slowly heat my hands and feet before going anywhere near hot or even warm water. This can take ages but it's worth it.

I've never found anything that heals them (other than time and warmth) though.

Thank you. I have tried Snowfire also Deep Heat. Been to podiatary and they don.t seem to know what to do which is annoying. Just been googling

There is a tablet you can take that helps. My friend had awful chillblains and the doctor gave her a tablet that increased blood flow. This was some years ago so sadly I can’t remember the name.

Here we are. I think it was this one @Lilly :

“If your chilblains are severe and keep returning, speak to your GP. They may recommend taking a daily tablet or capsule of a medication called nifedipine. This works by relaxing the blood vessels, improving your circulation”

I'm on nefidipine for my raynauds and it does work, it doesn't compleatly stop it but seems to keep the symptoms in check.
Of course like all meds your milage may vary. As to chilblains I cant say as I've not had any (that I've noticed).

The absolute best thing I ever did for mine was making sure my toes were never squished in my shoes. I buy wide fit where I can even though my feet aren’t particularly wide and wear thermal socks making sure I have plenty of wiggle room

I too have raynauds and I never knew there was any meds for that, so that’s good to know.

I didn't know there was anything you could take either but after a quick Google, it seems that the NHS suggest you might not be safe to take nifedipine if you're diabetic.

Who may not be able to take nifedipine​

Nifedipine is not suitable for some people.

Check the leaflet provided with the medicine to make sure nifedipine is safe for you. Tell your doctor if you:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back