Painful cannula sites

Status
Not open for further replies.

SB2015

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I have found that recently any cannulas that I have placed in the very centre of the abdomen (below belly button and avoiding a ridiculously large appendix scar) I get a bleed and it is very painful and I have had to put another cannula in. I know that I can just avoid this area, but wondered whether this was common, and is it like fingers where there are more nerves in the centre?

I must admit this is an area I have always avoided. It's a very sensitive spot so perhaps you are right about there being a concentration of nerve endings there.

Ah that part of you between the navel and the 'hairline' LOL DOES have a lot of nerves. Plus they tell you to avoid inserting within 1.5 inches of your belly button anyway do that doesn't actually leave that much available space!

We were told never to insert a cannula directly above or below the belly button, maybe that's why!

It's different close-ish to your navel - dunno how though but I have an inny, so the structure around that must surely be different to ordinary bits of tum, in order to accommodate it? Not sure about outies. I did try jabbing nearer round it over the years, a few times. Really poor absorption area too - just don't waste your time!

Thanks both. I have no idea why I had not picked up this bit of advice. Trying further round to give a bit of variety, and hoping that I don't catch the tubing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back