Pain killing injection raising blood glucose levels?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobP

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Last Thursday morning I had my first pain killing injection in my knee. For the last couple of weeks before the injection my blood glucose levels have been largely in the normal range (4-6), but since the injection they've been too high - 8 to 16!

Has anyone else had this?

I'm T1D, not on insulin yet.

Thanks

Last Thursday morning I had my first pain killing injection in my knee. For the last couple of weeks before the injection my blood glucose levels have been largely in the normal range (4-6), but since the injection they've been too high - 8 to 16!

Has anyone else had this?

I'm T1D, not on insulin yet.

Thanks
If your injection was of a steroid then that could be the reason as steroids are one of the reasons for elevated blood glucose. Otherwise no clue as it could be pain that can elevate your blood glucose.

If it was a steroid injection your bloods will be high for about 10 days gradually coming down again.

Thank you - I wish people would tell you things like this beforehand!

Hope your BGs settle quickly @RobP, and the steroids help with the pain.

Was the person giving you this jab 110% aware that you have T1? - been about 30? 35? years since I had such a jab in my shoulder and my GP 100% warned me about it increasing BG. Did nowt for the shoulder anyway - but some are luckier.

@trophywench yes he was aware - he asked how my blood glucose levels were before the injection! Oh well, the pain is diminishing now and hopefully my blood glucose levels will start to return to normal soon too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back