Paid opportunity: an online interview with diabetic patients or their carers who view personal health data visualisations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sheng

Relationship to Diabetes
HCP/Researcher
Who am I: a PhD student in design for digital health at the design school at Loughborough University
Payment: 15 pounds Amazon Voucher
Time: Based on the agreement, lasting about 45 minutes
Aim: To explore behaviours, attitudes, challenges and requirements towards personal health data visualisations with diabetic patients or their carers. The results will be analysed for later stages of my PhD project.
Plan: Welcome and introduction, a warm-up activity, responding to a few questions, filling out a questionnaire, reflection and wrapping up.

Criteria:
1. Above 18 years old
2. Have been diagnosed with diabetes (any type)
3. Have viewed your health data visualisations (or viewed patients' health data visualisations as carers) in the last 30 days.

Explanation: Visualisation means tables, or graphs e.g., line graphs, bar charts, or any type of visual format or element that represent health data, but not pure text and number. Personal health data means any type of health data of yourselves, e.g., HbA1c, glucose, blood pressure, cholesterol, steps, diet and so on.

If you are interested please contact z.sheng@lboro.ac.uk

For more information please see the attached information sheets.

Attachments

This has been approved. Please help if you can.

Question about something I fail completely to understand. One of the attachments states 'You must have viewed your health data visualisations at least once in the last 30 days.'

What health data visualisations would these be and where do you find them?

Well yeah Sue, I can. So that limits the whole exercise to folk with either CGM or Libre - but there is no hint whatever to any other health problems that might get any visualisation info, so a very very limited ambit for a PhD study one would have thought. Any number of us would quite like to be able to view eg test info from tests a hospital does, or even have some sort of digital contact with our GP surgery - which I know that some folk have got. We haven't because the surgery haven't done it. Nobody makes them.

I applaud people like Loughborough trying to design digital health Apps properly by 'audience participation' like this research of course - just fear there is little point in them doing it if no-one at the coalface bothers to engage with it!!

It says hba1c too or any other blood tests you might have done that you have viewed in a line graph so it’s not only those with cgm or libre. My fingerprick monitor plots results in graphs too

Well yeah Sue, I can. So that limits the whole exercise to folk with either CGM or Libre - but there is no hint whatever to any other health problems that might get any visualisation info, so a very very limited ambit for a PhD study one would have thought. Any number of us would quite like to be able to view eg test info from tests a hospital does, or even have some sort of digital contact with our GP surgery - which I know that some folk have got. We haven't because the surgery haven't done it. Nobody makes them.

I applaud people like Loughborough trying to design digital health Apps properly by 'audience participation' like this research of course - just fear there is little point in them doing it if no-one at the coalface bothers to engage with it!!
Hi, thank you for your interest in this study. Here I give some further clarification. "Health data visualisation" in this case could be any type of graph/table that represent your health data. There could be several sources of visualisations, for example, commercial mobile applications or websites like Apple watch and Fitbit. Not every, but some healthcare services also have visualisations that either patients have access to or are discussed together with healthcare professionals. Or, as you previously mentions, simple gadgets like CGM could have visualisations on a small screen. Those visualisations could be table, infographics, colour, icon, number line, line graph, bar chart, pie chart, scatter plot and so on. I admit that visualisation is still an underdeveloped part of healthcare, so we want to know how to improve the quality of healthcare, either by possibly promising visualisations or in other ways. Hope my explanation would make it clearer for you. Thank you.

I can't help but think that a rewrite of the rules on the traffic light system on packaging would be for more useful than the 'visualisations' listed.
I find myself reaching for the magnifying glass I now keep in my bag several times in each shopping trip as my usual grands are no longer available so I am seeking out suitable alternatives. I have even been questioned by store security who don't understand what I am doing.

I can't help but think that a rewrite of the rules on the traffic light system on packaging would be for more useful than the 'visualisations' listed.
I find myself reaching for the magnifying glass I now keep in my bag several times in each shopping trip as my usual grands are no longer available so I am seeking out suitable alternatives. I have even been questioned by store security who don't understand what I am doing.
Hi, thank you for your comment. What makes you think to rewrite the rules on the traffic light system on the packaging? Is it because they are too small to see?

Hi, thank you for your comment. What makes you think to rewrite the rules on the traffic light system on the packaging? Is it because they are too small to see?
Because the traffic light system on the front of packaging only shows the 'sugar' as being red, green or orange but even if green indicating low sugar it can be very high carbohydrate which is the critical information relevant to anyone diabetic. Either because they are following a low carb diet or they need to know the carbs for working out insulin doses.
As an example the cereal Puffed wheat shows low sugar 0.9g per 100g but is high carbohydrate at 69.9g per 100g. Probably the lowest sugar cereal but the highest carb of any.

The information a diabetic actually needs - the carb content, is usually in small to tiny print on the back, the completely useless traffic light system on the front of the pack doesn't give the required information.

The information a diabetic actually needs - the carb content, is usually in small to tiny print on the back, the completely useless traffic light system on the front of the pack doesn't give the required information.
Thank you for your reply, this is helpful.

Because the traffic light system on the front of packaging only shows the 'sugar' as being red, green or orange but even if green indicating low sugar it can be very high carbohydrate which is the critical information relevant to anyone diabetic. Either because they are following a low carb diet or they need to know the carbs for working out insulin doses.
As an example the cereal Puffed wheat shows low sugar 0.9g per 100g but is high carbohydrate at 69.9g per 100g. Probably the lowest sugar cereal but the highest carb of any.
Thank you for your reply, this is helpful.

Hi everyone, I'm just here again to ask if anyone else is interested in this interview. The information and criteria are the same as before (listed at the top), the only difference is viewing your health data is enough (not necessarily visualisation) now. If you are interested please contact z.sheng@lboro.ac.uk. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back