Ozempic

Lucyr

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hello, i'm new here but i have been active in diabetes online elsewhere so there's a few familiar faces. I've read a few threads and there seems to be people asking questions on this topic, but no one sticking around to answer.

I started Ozempic yesterday lunchtime (0.25 dose). I also take metformin, lantus and apidra (with carb counting/adjustment). I reduced my lantus and apidra ratios as directed so that i'm taking half of the insulin i usually would, but my blood sugars have been higher since, 15-20. I hesitate to change my ratios back as i'm not sure if the Ozempic will suddenly kick in and reduce my bgs. It's a once a week injection so i guess it takes a while to build up, and i'm not on the full dose yet.

Any ideas? Havent had any other side effects such as the nausea or reduced appetite at all yet either.

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hiya Lucy! - as you already know, I haven't got any idea about it, sorry.

Lucyr

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
No one seems to have experience of ozempic with insulin, not been able to find anything online.

Well it’s the end of day 2 and I felt rubbish being so high, hadn’t seen anything below the teens for 24 hours, so tonight I’ve increased my apidra doses to the midway between the old and new doses. Let’s see what that does for day 3 tomorrow.

grovesy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
No one seems to have experience of ozempic with insulin, not been able to find anything online.

Well it’s the end of day 2 and I felt rubbish being so high, hadn’t seen anything below the teens for 24 hours, so tonight I’ve increased my apidra doses to the midway between the old and new doses. Let’s see what that does for day 3 tomorrow.
Sorry I can't help but I have said a few times lately for some reason people on Ozempic don't seem to feed back or hang around. I don't see many posting elsewhere either, it seems to confined to the side-effects.

Lucyr

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Sorry I can't help but I have said a few times lately for some reason people on Ozempic don't seem to feed back or hang around. I don't see many posting elsewhere either, it seems to confined to the side-effects.
Yeah I’ve noticed the same when I’ve searched online, seems to be just people worried about starting it that post anywhere. Mostly people not using insulin that seem to start it too.

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1

grovesy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Yeah I’ve noticed the same when I’ve searched online, seems to be just people worried about starting it that post anywhere. Mostly people not using insulin that seem to start it too.
I came to the conclusion that a few months ago that I think they are prescribing it more to people who maybes would have been prescribed Insulin.

Lucyr

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I came to the conclusion that a few months ago that I think they are prescribing it more to people who maybes would have been prescribed Insulin.
Oh definitely. Who wouldn’t want a once a week set dose injection if you could get control with that rather than 4 injections a day with carb counting, driving restrictions, etc. What I haven’t come across yet is anyone that already uses insulin trying it, either for weight loss or to move backwards from insulin, or both.

I increased my lantus to 40 this morning. I had been on 50 and reduced to 30 to start the ozempic. My fbg was 15.6, know it’s only day 3 so maybe I should be more patient, but I wasn’t feeling great with the high bgs. Still no negative side effects, my hunger last night and this morning at mealtimes though was reduced to “I’m quite hungry” rather than “I could eat a horse I’m so hungry”.

grovesy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Oh definitely. Who wouldn’t want a once a week set dose injection if you could get control with that rather than 4 injections a day with carb counting, driving restrictions, etc. What I haven’t come across yet is anyone that already uses insulin trying it, either for weight loss or to move backwards from insulin, or both.

I increased my lantus to 40 this morning. I had been on 50 and reduced to 30 to start the ozempic. My fbg was 15.6, know it’s only day 3 so maybe I should be more patient, but I wasn’t feeling great with the high bgs. Still no negative side effects, my hunger last night and this morning at mealtimes though was reduced to “I’m quite hungry” rather than “I could eat a horse I’m so hungry”.
Sorry you can't find anyone to compare notes with. Hope you can find away through it.

DaveB

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
Hi. Ozempic is one of the 'Glutide group' normally prescribed to help with weight loss in T2s and also to help BS reduction. It's probably not best used in combination with insulin long-term as it can muddy the water. I'm not saying it's wrong but if you do have excess weight then having a low-carb diet is the number one priority as it will reduce BS and also insulin resistance. As that happens you should be able to reduce the Ozempic eventually to zero and then carry on with the insulin if still needed (and Metformin). Bear in mind that users of insulin who have too many carbs may also gain weight (yes, the Carbs need to be controlled!). I'm giving you my opinion as an amateur and you should discuss these things and changes with the GP.

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Let it be known that @Lucyr has tried all the normal things forums can suggest over the last 11 years and also been tested to make sure she isn't really T1, so it ain't like she's newly diagnosed and doesn't know either what is supposed to help or why its supposed to. So - this is just the latest stab in the dimly lit rather than completely dark, to try and find something that will work !

Lucyr

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Let it be known that @Lucyr has tried all the normal things forums can suggest over the last 11 years and also been tested to make sure she isn't really T1, so it ain't like she's newly diagnosed and doesn't know either what is supposed to help or why its supposed to. So - this is just the latest stab in the dimly lit rather than completely dark, to try and find something that will work !
12 years this week. I’ve never actually been tested for T1 but my belief based on experience is that I do produce insulin but generally not enough and with a bit of resistance especially after bgs have been high. I’m prone to ketones when I don’t take enough insulin which isn’t typical of T2. None of the T2 drugs worked for me, but I’m open to giving anything a go, if it doesn’t work I’ll just go back to before.

I can see that taking both ozempic and insulin is going to be a difficult balance, hence the trying to find other experiences. I’m in it more for the hope it reduces hunger than expecting to get off insulin, always feeling absolutely starving is my main barrier to weight loss.

Lucyr

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Well, thought i may as well continue keeping a record in case someone else comes along looking for experiences. Day 4 and my fbg was 15.1, felt rubbish, mainly achey, so did urine ketones and they were ++. So I’ve just gone back to my normal lantus and apidra doses from before I started ozempic and reduced the doses. Still high this afternoon after a good walk which is unusual, maybe the lantus needs a few days to settle.

Appetite wise I’m still thinking it’s helping, and I think there’s a bit of getting used to that mentally to do. Just had a milky coffee this morning as wasn’t hungry for breakfast, lunch out I chose a “small” portion and didn’t finish it.

grovesy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Well, thought i may as well continue keeping a record in case someone else comes along looking for experiences. Day 4 and my fbg was 15.1, felt rubbish, mainly achey, so did urine ketones and they were ++. So I’ve just gone back to my normal lantus and apidra doses from before I started ozempic and reduced the doses. Still high this afternoon after a good walk which is unusual, maybe the lantus needs a few days to settle.

Appetite wise I’m still thinking it’s helping, and I think there’s a bit of getting used to that mentally to do. Just had a milky coffee this morning as wasn’t hungry for breakfast, lunch out I chose a “small” portion and didn’t finish it.
It's intresting to see your journey.

Lucyr

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Day 5 today. BG 12 this morning, and about that level through the day. Food still feels a weird relationship change, I live alone and given I’m not fancying much, cooking seems a bit pointless. Have only had convenience food today (bread/ham based meals), because of this, so I think batch cooking for the freezer is the way to go. Haven’t lost any weight yet though it’s still early days. Hoping for bgs under 10 tomorrow.

Nickytay45

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hello, i'm new here but i have been active in diabetes online elsewhere so there's a few familiar faces. I've read a few threads and there seems to be people asking questions on this topic, but no one sticking around to answer.

I started Ozempic yesterday lunchtime (0.25 dose). I also take metformin, lantus and apidra (with carb counting/adjustment). I reduced my lantus and apidra ratios as directed so that i'm taking half of the insulin i usually would, but my blood sugars have been higher since, 15-20. I hesitate to change my ratios back as i'm not sure if the Ozempic will suddenly kick in and reduce my bgs. It's a once a week injection so i guess it takes a while to build up, and i'm not on the full dose yet.

Any ideas? Havent had any other side effects such as the nausea or reduced appetite at all yet either.
Hi I’ve been on ozempic for a year now and lost 32lb
Still struggle with diarrhoea daily and feeling nauseous but the weight lose out ways the side affects augers are still on the high side still but weight lose is brilliant as you have no appetite

Fifi240

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi I’m new to ozempic my bg didn’t reduce til week 2 of the injection and I’m on met or in as well but no insulin. I hope you see a reduction in your bg

Lucyr

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi I’ve been on ozempic for a year now and lost 32lb
Still struggle with diarrhoea daily and feeling nauseous but the weight lose out ways the side affects augers are still on the high side still but weight lose is brilliant as you have no appetite
That’s a great weight loss, it’s good the lack of hunger didn’t wear off for you and has helped you lose so much. The diarrhoea and nausea sound more difficult but if the benefits outweigh that then great. I’ve not had either more than usual so far, have had upset stomachs whenever i eat fatty food for years but haven’t increased so far.

Lucyr

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Well today is time for the week 2 dose. I was so hungry all day yesterday that I think this stuff really peaks on days 4-5 and didn’t feel like it was doing anything by yesterday (day 7). I’ve still not noticed any effect on my blood sugars, and my weight hasn’t reduced in week 1, though I did have a few days of not eating much.

I’m still on the loading dose and did my second 0.25 jab this morning, the half life is a week so I guess it will keep building up the active dose this week.

grovesy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Well today is time for the week 2 dose. I was so hungry all day yesterday that I think this stuff really peaks on days 4-5 and didn’t feel like it was doing anything by yesterday (day 7). I’ve still not noticed any effect on my blood sugars, and my weight hasn’t reduced in week 1, though I did have a few days of not eating much.

I’m still on the loading dose and did my second 0.25 jab this morning, the half life is a week so I guess it will keep building up the active dose this week.
Will be intresting to see how this week goes.