Ozempic

Status
Not open for further replies.

HalfpipMarathon

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I haven't posted for a while.

My HbA1c has stayed the same two times in a row. Dr was happy although the number I had 12 months ago would be preferable.

The nurse at my review asked if I would consider Ozempic. My initial reaction was I wasn't keen. I felt like I have failed. However I agreed to discuss it with the Dr who said that as I had lost weight already (3 stone) I was a good candidate.

Because of the shortage of Ozempic and other similar drugs due to being prescribed off licence Dr is going to leave things as they are until after my next HbA1c in January. My nurse said its outrageous.

I always said I didn't want to end up on insulin partly because I would have definitely feel a failure also I'm no good at maths so working out insulin ratios would be stressful.

Has anyone asked to start on insulin? Is this possible? Does it work same way as Ozempic etc.? How high do your blood sugars and HbA1c have to be?

Drs have been told not to start anyone new on Ozempic until 2024, because of the shortages (which have been going on for some time)

https://www.diabetes.org.uk/about_u...ly-issues-drugs-people-living-type-2-diabetes

There’s absolutely no need for anyone with T2 to feel that their needing additional meds is any kind of ‘failure’. Diabetes is a complex condition, and no two cases are exactly alike. Two people could respond in just the same way, be just as careful with weight loss and diet changes, and one would see their BG return to ‘remission’ levels with no meds, while the other would need meds to be added to help support their metabolism.

Insulin and Ozempic are very different and work in quite different ways. There are other T2 meds (gliflozins, Trulicity, Victoza etc etc) which aren’t insulin which you could also consider if your BG needed extra support.

Insulin in T2 can be used in a variety of ways. Some people have a fully flexible basal:bolus system with meal and background doses, while others just need a little ‘background’ support with either a mixed insulin or a long acting background dose.

Congrats on maintaining your HbA1c 🙂

Last edited:
Hi. Did your doctor explain that by having a low-carb diet you may be able to avoid Ozempic? If you haven't already reduced you carbs then do give it a try.

Drs have been told not to start anyone new on Ozempic until 2024, because of the shortages (which have been going on for some time)

https://www.diabetes.org.uk/about_u...ly-issues-drugs-people-living-type-2-diabetes

There’s absolutely no need for anyone with T2 to feel that their needing additional meds is any kind of ‘failure’. Diabetes is a complex condition, and no two cases are exactly alike. Two people could respond in just the same way, be just as careful with weight loss and diet changes, and one would see their BG return to ‘remission’ levels with no meds, while the other would need meds to be added to help support their metabolism.

Insulin and Ozempic are very different and work in quite different ways. There are other T2 meds (gliflozins, Trulicity, Victoza etc etc) which aren’t insulin which you could also consider if your BG needed extra support.

Insulin in T2 can be used in a variety of ways. Some people have a fully flexible basal:bolus system with meal and background doses, while others just need a little ‘background’ support with either a mixed insulin or a long acting background dose.

Congrats on maintaining your HbA1c 🙂
Thank you.
I believe its not just Ozempic but Trulicity and another one that's in short supply.

Hi. Did your doctor explain that by having a low-carb diet you may be able to avoid Ozempic? If you haven't already reduced you carbs then do give it a try.
Hi no she hasn't. I'm aware of low carb eating but keeping a daily log too much like when I attended slimming clubs however no idea how to do it without.

Hi no she hasn't. I'm aware of low carb eating but keeping a daily log too much like when I attended slimming clubs however no idea how to do it without.
Hi. No need to keep a log etc. It's more about making better food choices at each meal e.g. no cereals or toast for breakfast but possibly egg & bacon. Keep the potatoes, pasta and rice quantities down and focus on proteins and fats. No carby snacks between meals. Avoid low-fat food such as yoghurts and go for low-sugar varieties. I try to keep my total daily carbs below 150gm. I don't always achieve that but at least I have a target.

Exercise and physical activity is also part of the puzzle that doesn't seem to get highlighted very often. For some it is the absolute key.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back