Ozempic

Janet 3

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi Everyone,

I've been asked to try Ozempic but concerned about side effects and how long they will last. Just wondering if anyone else is taking it?

Hi Everyone,

I've been asked to try Ozempic but concerned about side effects and how long they will last. Just wondering if anyone else is taking it?
Hello @Janet 3,

Welcome to the forum. We have a few members who have tried it and I am sure they will jump in. I have included some information regarding Ozempic below.

The majority of medications can have side effects, and Ozempic is no different. Common side effects can include constipation and diarrhoea, while less common side effects include altered taste and acute pancreatitis.

More information about the side effects is contained in the Patient Information Leaflet (PIL) which comes in the box of the medication, so make sure to read this.

It is also important that you take individual advice from your healthcare team before starting Ozempic treatment and report any side effects if you experience any.

Hi Everyone,

Hi Janet, Ozempic is extremely effective in my opinion, side effects can differ but in general they can cause nausea and sometimes constipation. However this is transient in the feeling of nausea, and something mild can be introduced and or more fiber to your diet if constipation occurs, Good luck Janet

The side effects are how it works really, by making you feel full early or a bit sick if you eat too much it should make you eat less. If you eat less when taking it then you should feel less issues, it can also be certain kinds of foods causing more side effects which you should watch out for.

I didn’t get any side effects so stopped taking it as it wasn’t making any difference.

The side effects are how it works really, by making you feel full early or a bit sick if you eat too much it should make you eat less.
I don't think these GLP-1A drugs like Ozempic work by making you feel sick - that's just a (usually transient) side effect. Rather, they work by acting on hormonal signalling pathways, with effects including hunger feedback from gut to brain, insulin secretion, emptying rates and apparently a bunch of others under investigation.

I don't think these GLP-1A drugs like Ozempic work by making you feel sick - that's just a (usually transient) side effect. Rather, they work by acting on hormonal signalling pathways, with effects including hunger feedback from gut to brain, insulin secretion, emptying rates and apparently a bunch of others under investigation.
Made no difference to my hunger, blood sugar levels or insulin needs

Made no difference to my hunger, blood sugar levels or insulin needs
Pity. Apparently some people need to go to Wegovy-level dosage to see any effect & some people just don't respond at all

Hi Everyone,

Hi Janet. I started on Ozempic (and still on Metformin too) in October. I had a bit of hypo after my first dose but believe this was because I had foolishly taken it before any breakfast. Had no other effects since. I was on Victoza, a daily injection, whereas the Ozempic is weekly. My recent HBa1c shows a high blood sugar, but I think it's more because of my poor diet.

Hi Janet. I started on Ozempic (and still on Metformin too) in October. I had a bit of hypo after my first dose but believe this was because I had foolishly taken it before any breakfast. Had no other effects since. I was on Victoza, a daily injection, whereas the Ozempic is weekly. My recent HBa1c shows a high blood sugar, but I think it's more because of my poor diet.
Thank you for sharing that. I hope your blood sugar soon improves.

Recently (5 days ago) started Viictoza.
Is this the same type of drug?
Paul G

Paul G
Hi Paul,

I'm not sure to be honest. I know Ozempic is a weekly injection and victoza a daily one but other than that I don't know.

Paul G
Yes, it's in the same class/family of medications

Victoza is a build up dosage, 2 weeks on 0.6; 2 weeks on 1.2 then 1.8 after that.
From the info leaflet:- Victoza contains Liraglutide which slows food passage through the stomach.
( I don't pretend to understand that )
I'm on Metformin 500 twice daily as well as 36 units of injected insulin twice daily. I think the plan is that I'll have so many holes in me that anything I eat will run right out again. :D
Paul G

Victoza is a build up dosage, 2 weeks on 0.6; 2 weeks on 1.2 then 1.8 after that.
From the info leaflet:- Victoza contains Liraglutide which slows food passage through the stomach.
( I don't pretend to understand that )
I'm on Metformin 500 twice daily as well as 36 units of injected insulin twice daily. I think the plan is that I'll have so many holes in me that anything I eat will run right out again. :D
Paul G
If food stays in your stomach for longer, then it may make you feel fuller for longer, so you may eat less. Part of the function of victoza and similar medications is as an appetite suppressant

Back