• Please Remember: Members are only permitted to share their own experiences. Members are not qualified to give medical advice. Additionally, everyone manages their health differently. Please be respectful of other people's opinions about their own diabetes management.
  • Take a look at our new Type 2 Diabetes Remission section on the Diabetes UK website: https://www.diabetes.org.uk/diabetes-the-basics/type-2-remission

Ozempic- withdrawal

Carole Waterworth

I've been using Ozempic for 2 years. I lost 3 stones in the first 6 months and have remained at that lower weight since then. My BG levels have more or less been within normal limits during this time. I was always told that my Diabetes cannot be reversed and that it's with me for life. As Ozempic manages my Diabetes and not weight I expected that when it stopped, as it has recently due to the highly publicised supply issues, that my BG would increase. It is however going the other way, constantly dropping down to 4 so I have to keep eating! Is anyone else seeing this effect?

What other medication are you on? You don’t need to eat just because bg is 4 unless you’re on medication that might drop you further

What other medication are you on? You don’t need to eat just because bg is 4 unless you’re on medication that might drop you further
No other Diabetes related meds, just Levothyroxine and Statins. Many thanks for your reply. I really didn't know that, I always understood that to fall below 4 could be life threatening. It's scary to think that I've been diabetic for 5 years and have such limited knowledge, but I suppose that initially when I was injecting insulin many times a day, that would have been the case. Thanks again.

No other Diabetes related meds, just Levothyroxine and Statins. Many thanks for your reply. I really didn't know that, I always understood that to fall below 4 could be life threatening. It's scary to think that I've been diabetic for 5 years and have such limited knowledge, but I suppose that initially when I was injecting insulin many times a day, that would have been the case. Thanks again.
People on insulin have to be careful as yes, dropping to 4 can be life threatening if they still have insulin on board which is going to drop them still further. Tests with Glucose monitoring systems on non-diabetic people have shown that they can and do regularly fall to 3.5 without ill effects, the liver will then release glucose to balance up .

People on insulin have to be careful as yes, dropping to 4 can be life threatening if they still have insulin on board which is going to drop them still further. Tests with Glucose monitoring systems on non-diabetic people have shown that they can and do regularly fall to 3.5 without ill effects, the liver will then release glucose to balance up .
My level of ignorance in relation to my illness is quite scary. Thank you so much Robin.

I have recently been advised by my GP Pharmacist that Ozempic 1mg will not be available until July 2024 and that I should continue without it for the foreseeable future, managing my diabetes with Dapagliflozin and Metformin. I am anxious as I have been on ozempic for a few years; diagnosed diabetic in 2017 and previously managed with various meds. I have a history of spiking between 40's to high 80's on my HbA1c. I have just joined a fitness program that has me on a zero carb diet for 2 weeks before reintroducing... I am nervous... anyone got any advice please to help settle my mind?

I have just joined a fitness program that has me on a zero carb diet for 2 weeks
A zero carb diet isn’t possible. If you think it is, then you should read more about carbohydrates before deciding what to do.

I have recently been advised by my GP Pharmacist that Ozempic 1mg will not be available until July 2024 and that I should continue without it for the foreseeable future, managing my diabetes with Dapagliflozin and Metformin. I am anxious as I have been on ozempic for a few years; diagnosed diabetic in 2017 and previously managed with various meds. I have a history of spiking between 40's to high 80's on my HbA1c. I have just joined a fitness program that has me on a zero carb diet for 2 weeks before reintroducing... I am nervous... anyone got any advice please to help settle my mind?
Zero carbs is hardly feasible and probably not actually very healthy. Low carb fine and people do go so low as to be Keto which is usually no more than 20-30g carbs per day, but low carb no more than 130g per day is very doable and sustainable long term.
There can potentially be side effects of going very low carb, often referred to as Keto flu and can affect your eyes and nerves if it results in a sudden drop in blood glucose.
I'm not saying don't do it but do your research and know what you are committing to.

I have just joined a fitness program that has me on a zero carb diet for 2 weeks before reintroducing... I am nervous... anyone got any advice please to help settle my mind?

Welcome to the forum @pault6670

Hope your new fitness programme and whichever menu you settle on helps you make steady and sustainable progress towards your goals.

As others are saying, zero carb diets are technically possible, but extremely challenging - and involve completely avoiding all vegetables (even celery and lettuce have trace amounts), alongside low carb/keto faves like eggs and cheese (which also have trace amounts of carbs).

Perhaps your fitness programme just means no main sources of carbs? (rice, pasta, grains, bread, potatoes, root veggies etc?)

You are all quite right, it is not zero carb but it is low carb, cutting out starchy carbs. It is just the way they phrase it. It is high protein. Only time will tell if my body adjusts to it. Thanks all for your feedback.

Back