Status
Not open for further replies.

Daisies

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
She/Her
Hi.

Been on the programme since end of October.

Have lost 5 kg.

However weekly monitoring of fasting blood sugar has gone from 6.5 to 7.4
As of today.

My contact person on the app has been away for 2 weeks. I've called them up to ask if someone could speak to me. Is this normal?

Hi.

Been on the programme since end of October.

Have lost 5 kg.

However weekly monitoring of fasting blood sugar has gone from 6.5 to 7.4
As of today.

My contact person on the app has been away for 2 weeks. I've called them up to ask if someone could speak to me. Is this normal?
Those reading are essentially the same as they are within the 15% allowable tolerance of your blood glucose monitor.
Do you take your reading at the same time in the morning, some people find that it is more consistent to do it in bed before they getup and start to move around as the liver tries to be super helpful and releases glucose to give you energy.
You are still early days in the program and your body metabolism is likely to be adjusting anyway.
4-7mmol/l would be normal for a fasting reading anyway.

When you say weekly testing, does this mean just once a week, in which case you only have a data set of a few readings, from which it really isn't possible to draw any conclusions. You could have slept badly or been more stressed yesterday or been more active before the previous 6.5 reading, especially as the weather has been particularly dismal recently. Lots of things can impact any particular reading, including the error margin for an particular test strip, so I would not panic or draw any particular conclusions from one test. If you were testing daily and levels were trending downward or holding steady and then suddenly you got 3 or 4 readings which were then showing a notable upward trend, then you might want to seek advice or look at a possible cause, but as mentioned, those 2 readings are essentially the same, so no cause for concern.

Hi.

Thank you for your quick reply.

Done it various times in the morning.

Will try your approach.

Also I redid the check but on a different finger and it was 6.9

The machines they give you are not the greatest. The weighing machine I have to do teice as 1st reading is always too high

You definitely need to be consistent with when you do it in the morning. Less so time wise but more so in relation to your morning routine, so testing as soon as you wake up is about as consistent as you can get in that respect.
BG levels are not just influenced by food but lots and lots of other factors. One being on a morning hormones trigger our liver to start releasing glucose into our blood stream to give us energy for the day ahead. Many of us who monitor our levels closely and need insulin find that our liver can release enough glucose to raise our levels by several whole mmols. I have to inject enough insulin to cover a rise of 4-6mmols in the space of about an hour from waking up and particularly when I put my feet on the floor and stand up.
Obviously your body is still producing insulin but not using it as efficiently as a non diabetic person, so you will still see your levels rise on a morning due to this release of glucose from your liver, so if you are able to consistently test as soon as you wake up, that will reduce the variability a little bit.
How active you were the day before and how well you slept and how stressed you are and if you are coming down with a bug or virus will also impact levels. Even the temperature will affect your BG levels to some degree, plus as mentioned, BG meters are not accurate to the decimal place they show. There is about a 15% margin of error on each reading for the majority of strips but the odd strip might be totally rogue.

Diabetes is all about looking for trends and patterns, not getting hung up on one off readings, which look like they are bucking the trend a bit.

OK thank you. Will do daily.

Not much blood comes out as before. Do I need to drink more water?

You don't need much blood but having warm hands is probably more important than drinking water unless you are obviously dehydrated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back