overwhelmed...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peely66

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Yesterday I reached a point where I needed to speak to someone about how I was feeling. The day before I had been at work supporting individuals with learning disability, taking someone to do their shopping. It had been a tiring week with long shifts and all the demands that come with the job. I actually got to the point where I couldn't think or speak walking around the supermarket and felt that I was about to have a meltdown of some sort. Spoke to my manager in her capacity as Mental Health First Aider. Not sure what I expected from that interaction really, obviously not a full on counselling session, but she has suggested booking the leave I have left, she's open to the idea of me reducing my hours, and she is going to try and book me on some training to break my week up a bit. So she's doing what she can.

I mentioned the fact that trying to work full time in a pretty demanding support role and managing the relentlessness of diabetes is taking its toll. I think some of the problem is I am so isolated and I draw away have become more isolated as I think I haven't got the energy to do things and my diabetes feels like a burden around my neck stopping me from doing things.

I feel like I'm certainly experiencing diabetes distress if not burnout.

@Peely66 I’ve worked in Care before. The shifts are long and it’s relentless - and I only worked part-time. To me, it sounds like you’re exhausted. That feeling of not being able to speak or think is what I get when I’m exhausted. I literally feel like I could lie down on the floor and give up. For me, I found relieving the tiredness made a huge difference. However, if you think you’re suffering associated problems like depression, do speak to your GP asap.

My advice - take your Leave and reduce your hours. Frankly, if you’re struggling that much, I’d take some sick leave before doing any of that. Don’t push yourself.

It’s not you. I find working FT and dealing with Type 1 very difficult. It’s like having two F/T jobs. I now work P/T - less money but I feel much better.

Look after yourself. You’re not alone xx

Hi there, when I was diagnosed with diabetes, I decide not to work anymore because I knew trying to manage diabetes and working would not work for me. I know myself that well. It is like having 2 jobs, I know some would not be able to do this because of finances, but I know what I could handle and what I can’t. Maybe take stress leave until you figure out what you’re going to do, diabetes can take a toll on a person for sure. Or maybe try a job that you can work from home. Sorry to here how difficult it has become.

Sorry to hear what a difficult time you've bern having @Peely66

Hope you find sharing about it helpful. It does sound like you need to take a bit of time for yourself and perhaps rebalance things a bit?

How are you sleeping?

Perhaps some counselling might help (you can refer yourself to a short course of talking therapy on the NHS)

I can’t remember if you are on pens or pump? Might a hybrid closed loop relieve some of the burden of diabetes drudgery?

Cheers to one and all who responded. I felt a bit better towards the end of the week. I think it was sheer exhaustion. I hadn't slept well in that week as I'd wrenched my neck so kept waking up then I had a night where my libre alarm went off 3 times.

I've been very disappointed with the response from my manager. Particularly as I had asked to speak to her in her capacity as a mental health first aider. She didn't check in with me at all and my cynical self wonders whether "mental health first aider" just looks good on her emails along with all the other courses she has attended. Anyway it's galvanised me to move on. I've been with the same company for 8 years and the company has invested nothing in me. I really hope I can find the energy to make a change.

Hi Peely 66 do feel so sorry for your situation and would probably advise you to step back and work less hours if you are really struggling to manage your diabetes as well as trying to work in a very demanding environment.
It may seem funny coming from someone like myself who still works full time simply because I enjoy it so much but I have an extremely supportive manager and employer who always have my best interests at heart.
I have found I can manage the diabetes OK but I have a lot of flexibility and can manage my job pretty well as I have been doing it a long time.
My point is it is a very individual judgement and you need to balance the demands of managing your job,family, finances and health challenges but at the end of the day you know best on how you are coping with juggling the various competing priorities.
ATB

I've been with the same company for 8 years and the company has invested nothing in me. I really hope I can find the energy to make a change.

Good luck with your next adventure, wherever it takes you 🙂

Be kind to yourself and take your time - there's no rush.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back