Override Freestlye Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

sharp00782

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Is there a way of overriding the freestyle libre reading? I ask as if it tells me I’m going low and into hypo territory and then finger prick and I’m well within range it distorts my figures and paints a false picture?

Unfortunately, Libre is "factory calibrated" so we are unable to manually calibrate. I know many people add the finger prick reading as a note so it is recorded.

If you want to be able to calibrate and are techy, there are third party unofficial apps such as xDrip and Diabox that can take readings from Libre and allow calibration.

I don't think you can override it. If it happens to me i just put a note on. Anyone looking at it can see it.

Unfortunately, Libre is "factory calibrated" so we are unable to manually calibrate. I know many people add the finger prick reading as a note so it is recorded.

If you want to be able to calibrate and are techy, there are third party unofficial apps such as xDrip and Diabox that can take readings from Libre and allow calibration.
You beat me to it.

Thanks for that. That’s exactly what I do. I always put a note on there with the finger prick reading if it’s a false hypo or hyper.

I think most clinicians are aware that Libre reads lower than BG for many people, especially at low levels. For me it usually reads about 1mmol lower at low levels, so a 2.9 will be nearer 3.9 and a 3.3 or above, I will usually not be hypo at all when I check with a finger prick. As far as I am aware, short of using something like xDrip which allows you to calibrate, then it is a question of grinning and bearing it. At the end of the day, Libre is just a tool to help you manage your diabetes. It is not a judge and much as I enjoy using it as a bit of a challenge or game and find it frustrating when it records so many hypos, most of which are not actual hypos, the important thing is that I know I am managing my diabetes well and if the consultant queries it, I can show him my BG meter results and how many of those hypos are actual hypos.... The vast majority of the tests I do show that I am not actually hypo.

I am clearly far to slow at typing.... and not concise enough! 🙄

In principle, as far as I know, NO. Override is not an option, as such. Once a reading, however erroneous, is registered it exists and is unchangeable (unless there is a further app that I am unaware of that can do this).

However, you are not alone with this issue. There are many of us who somewhat begrudge erroneous Libre readings creating misleading statistics.I have a love/hate relationship with Libre: I truly appreciate having more information, particularly the trend arrows, as well as alerts (alarms) from Libre, that periodic finger pricks simply can't provide. But for me Libre is very rarely within even 2 mmol/L of actual - even in very steady (level) state and annoyingly sometimes higher and sometimes lower than actual; it's something of a lottery and accordingly my stats, eg Low Glucose Events, are extremely misleading. My body does not seem to be friends with Libre.

However, my Consultant accepts that my stats are misleading and some proof of my management comes from my satisfactory HbA1c. So I've stopped being frustrated or even concerned about this aspect.

At least appreciate that you are far better informed with Libre, than you could ever be without it - even though the stats mislead and you still have to flash or scan each time you want a reading. Since Christmas, along with an upgrade to Android 13 on my Samsung A52, I now get true CGM from an app called Diabox which collects the signal being transmitted by Libre and displays continuously on my phone. That tech is as much of a progression as it was from finger pricking to Libre. For example, if I have unwittingly got the quick acting meal dose or pre-bolus timings wrong, I now watch my phone as I eat and can adjust accordingly. That is unthinkable even with flash scans.

I don't think you can override it. If it happens to me i just put a note on. Anyone looking at it can see it.
I don't (usually) bother with a note, because my guess is nobody's really going to look at it (including me). While the numbers are sometimes off for me, I find they're almost always close enough that time in range is a reasonable measure so I'm OK with them not being quite right.

I agree it would be nice to be able to chop off the last few hours of a dying sensor, but I'm OK with not being able to do that. (I agree if you're one of those people who finds the sensors consistently too low by 1 or 2 then that would be annoying but I'm not.)

If it’s reading significantly too low then call abbot to get it replaced, but if it’s just slightly low then it’s just one of the things you have to accept.

Can't add a note when you use the reader. Think it does it for you if you use the blood test strips that fit the reader/meter but of course, I don't since I use an Accu-Chek pump so the Aviva Expert meter/pump remote control.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back