overnight bg drops

Status
Not open for further replies.

void

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
my libre2 sensor (when it's been accurate) has been *excellent* in detecting overnight lows

and look at the blood sugar you’re coming to bed on
good point. I was 5.9 at "bedtime" but "bedtime" time varies, a lot. Sometimes I have to work in the small hrs (small hrs locally for me, that is). usually it's a bit higher than that, like around 8-9. Then again it really shouldn't be falling below 4.

good point. I was 5.9 at "bedtime" but "bedtime" time varies, a lot. Sometimes I have to work in the small hrs (small hrs locally for me, that is). usually it's a bit higher than that, like around 8-9. Then again it really shouldn't be falling below 4.

Some people need a snack at bedtime and have a target blood sugar eg. 7 or 8mmol to achieve before they go to bed to reduce the risk of hypos. When I was on MDI, I always had a small carby snack unless I was above 7 or 8.

Yes, if you’re dropping significantly, then looking at your basal is wise. I see you’re on Toujeo - when do you take it?

Yes, if you’re dropping significantly, then looking at your basal is wise. I see you’re on Toujeo - when do you take it?
when I wake up, or shortly after.

I keep a jar of jelly babies (the asda budget ones) for their glucose content and have calculated (why they don't give a per sweet number on the side I don't know) each individual sweet contains 3.75g glucose.

yeah my target is 8. I was really pleased with being 5-7 all day though 😉 it feels so much better than bouncing everywhere

yeah my target is 8. I was really pleased with being 5-7 all day though 😉 it feels so much better than bouncing everywhere

Yes, it makes you appreciate what a good job the pancreas does when it has a full complement of functioning islets!

.... and never forget (if you even knew in the first place) that every human body's lowest BG of each 24 hr period is experienced in the early hours of the morning - ie between roughly 02.30 and 04.00 - so if yours happens to drop thereabouts, simply proves you're a normal human bean ! - then after that, starts to rise again as the body starts to release stored glucose to give us the energy to wake up and get going every day. You're onto a loser if you try and completely flatten out the curve so don't attempt that but do try to avoid going too high and too low and flatten out spikes and troughs into a nice gentle curve gently down and gently back up again.

Yeah. By low, I mean below 4.0.

Another confounding factor is that I sometimes have to work nightshift, with all the circadian hormonal screwup that entails.

Hope you can find a tweaked basal dose that helps to iron out those overnight dips @void

If you can’t get Toujeo to play nicely overnight without leaving you short of basal insulin during the day (as it has such a long flat profile) you might need to consider something like Levemir, which acts over 12-16hrs and is more immediately responsive to change - meaning that you can have a separate dose running during the daytime, and perhaps a lower dose active overnight if this is what you need.

One of my discoveries moving to pump therapy was how little basal I needed at various points in the day (from almost nothing, up to nearly a unit every hour) - which explains the hypos I had on Lantus!

Hope you can find a tweaked basal dose that helps to iron out those overnight dips @void
I may have found it, slightly under half of what I was already using!! Still monitoring, need to give it another day or so before seriously looking at it further. Morning bg was 4.8, which was an accurate reading (5.1 on the fp test). During the day a bit high (just over 8) but then again black pudding has cereal in it or some kind of filler grain and it's difficult to estimate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back