Over night basal issues...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freddie99

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
As you know I've been pumping for about two months now. Then the heat came along. For the past five or six days I've been doing those good old three in the morning tests. Just about all of them have come up at 16 mmol/L. I had one like that this morning but forgot to correct it and it seems that my BG dropped to 11.5 with just the basal. I'm currently on 1.1 units per hour from 2200 to 0700. I've tried 1 unit per hour over the same time scale with the same results. Would a drop to something like 0.9 units be a wise idea given the heat?

Tom

Oh man, the heat is driving me crazy as well - it seems that I can't get my overnight basal sorted because the heat is too unpredictable 😡

Do you have to have the same basal rate for the whole night? I'd be tempted to run a higher rate earlier in the night to stop the rise to 16, then run a lower basal rate afterwards. Is that an option for you?

It's an option but I think I will give the lower one a go first. Then if that doesn't work we'll try another one.

Tom

As you know I've been pumping for about two months now. Then the heat came along. For the past five or six days I've been doing those good old three in the morning tests. Just about all of them have come up at 16 mmol/L. I had one like that this morning but forgot to correct it and it seems that my BG dropped to 11.5 with just the basal. I'm currently on 1.1 units per hour from 2200 to 0700. I've tried 1 unit per hour over the same time scale with the same results. Would a drop to something like 0.9 units be a wise idea given the heat?

Tom

Hi tom,

I am on different basal units thrughout the day and night. OK so you are 16 at 3 am? the trick is to find when do you start to rise as you are , obviously falling again later. For example (pain in the but i know), but try testing hourly from 11pm through till 3, make sure no long acting from bolus in the system from teatime. If you start to rise at say 1am, then you need to increase basal at around 11pm to combat the spike. (for example i used to spike around 5am so my 3 and 4 am basal are quite high, mostly when i do overnight testing i now stay steady. really hope this helps you sort this out.

I dont know what the other pumpers do, but there is no way a pump would work for me being on the same basal for a long period. For example two hours of the day i have zero basal and range from this by several different amounts up to 0.85 It may be you need to tweak several hours higher and some lower even, later on in the night. You need to ged rid of that 16 Tom, good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back