over compesating for a hypo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bex123

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
hi , i dont know if any body else does this but i seem to over compensate for hypos , i cant help it! , i woke up at 5.30 am this morning with a hypo of 1.4 i seem to go into auto pilot when i am low and totally over compenaste ( take waaaaaay to much gluco tabs / lucosade etc) , obviously i am really hypo and dont seem to get what i am doing untill my b.s goes up a bit but by then its too late and i get a massive bounce from low to high ? just wonder does any one else do this when hypo without realising it?

I must admit, I'm usually very good when it comes to treating hypos - usually just three jelly babies. I've had a couple that haven't responded and I've gone into panic mode, guzzling stuff down.

Might be worth having a fixed amount of carbs in a packet by your bed (more than 1 in case the hypos doesn't respond!). I think it's perfectly understandable to want to eat for England when you go so low and obviously your brain isn't functioning properly to make rational decisions.

I must admit, I'm usually very good when it comes to treating hypos - usually just three jelly babies. I've had a couple that haven't responded and I've gone into panic mode, guzzling stuff down.

Might be worth having a fixed amount of carbs in a packet by your bed (more than 1 in case the hypos doesn't respond!). I think it's perfectly understandable to want to eat for England when you go so low and obviously your brain isn't functioning properly to make rational decisions.

When I had problems in the early days with night time hypos I got a small sealable container - about 2" square and used to put however many dextrose tabs in there that I needed to treat a hypo, stopped me emptying the packet into my mush and trying to crunch them all at the sametime.

One piece of advice, if the container has four clips holding the lid on CUT one pair off - four of them become a mensa challenge during a hypo and just fastening two of them and leaving two undone is even worse as you're trying to work out why they lid won't come off - you've just fastened the two that were undone! Sounds funny now, wasn't then.

I also went through a phase when I was having hypos of denying I needed to eat and deciding I was going to do 'something' caused some concerns!

Hello,

I do the same. I think your body gives you the 'munchies' and you just splurge. It could also be that you're body is scared it will go lower and tricks you into taking plenty to make sure you go higher.

Also, while you are treating the hypo, you're liver could also be doing a glucose dump which adds to the rebound effect.

Einsteins idea of having a box of just the right amount to treat a hypo prepared in advance is a good idea. That way you know when you've drank/eaten everything in the box then you should stop.

NiVZ

I hate it when I have an early morning hypo. They just make me munch everything in the fridge or anything that's mine. It's bloody awful because I wake up the next morning and feel foul.

i used to be very guilty of that, but i've got better recently. i used to eat until i felt myself coming back up...which depending on what i was eating could take some time. oh fun times they were.

When I had problems in the early days with night time hypos I got a small sealable container - about 2" square and used to put however many dextrose tabs in there that I needed to treat a hypo, stopped me emptying the packet into my mush and trying to crunch them all at the sametime.

One piece of advice, if the container has four clips holding the lid on CUT one pair off - four of them become a mensa challenge during a hypo and just fastening two of them and leaving two undone is even worse as you're trying to work out why they lid won't come off - you've just fastened the two that were undone! Sounds funny now, wasn't then.

I also went through a phase when I was having hypos of denying I needed to eat and deciding I was going to do 'something' caused some concerns!

lol yeah im guilty of trying to munch a whole packet of gluco tabs in 1 go , and also the brain not working thing and a seemingly simple task becoms a problem thought up by mensa lol i gave up with lucosade because i couldnt get the lids off the bottle😱 (trying to twist the wrong way etc ) the box by the bed thing with the right ammount in sounds like a good idea i may give that a go ...... mabey a box without clips though lol :D

yeah i tend to do it if my reading is really low cause then i panic and think if i dont get lots of sugar in me then it will keep dropping and i will collapse

I'm totally guilty of this.

I have 200ml cartons of juice by my bed so i drink one of those - altho sounds like that might be too much for some people? its 20g carbs. seems to be ok for me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back