Out of date insulin

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnnS

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I know I should have checked before I used it but just realised insulin I have been taking for last week has an expiry date of 01/2022 on it. Only fetched it from chemist last week. Can this be harmful? I have started a new batch which is in date.

I know I should have checked before I used it but just realised insulin I have been taking for last week has an expiry date of 01/2022 on it. Only fetched it from chemist last week. Can this be harmful? I have started a new batch which is in date.
I think you should return the out dated stuff to the pharmacy for certain as they shouldn't be dispensing out of date stock and they should replace it.
I don't think it would actually be harmful but may not be as effective as you expect.

No it isn't harmful you might find after about a year the potency wont be as good.

You will be fine. Makers are conservative in their estimate of how long their product will remain good. In any case it will not be good one day and useless the next.

You should still return it, however.

We should always check that our insulin is the right colour (clear or milk colour) and that there are no bits in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back