out of date insulin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gail2

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
She/Her
As you know I get my insulin in syringes. My GP once told me that my insulin could only be stored this way for up to 7 days in advance. I just wondered if u used insulin that was out of date in this way would there be any side effects at all, just being curious thats all

Hi Gail

Insulin in a cartridge can be used for up to 4 weeks out of the fridge. I don't know why your pre-drawn syringes are only usable for a week unless the air causes the insulin to degrade.

Saying that the reason you wouldn't use insulin that was degrading is that it is not as effective and could lead to you having higher blood sugars.

You could check with your pharmacist to see whether the syringes you have are still Ok.

I just wondered if u used insulin that was out of date in this way would there be any side effects at all, just being curious thats all

Not sure why the shelf life seems so short. Northerner was commenting the other day that his reduced doses meant that Lantus cartridges were out of the fridge for longer than 30 days and losing potency. Exposure to excess heat also seems to reduce insulin's effectiveness. Not that this seems to tie in with 7 days though!

M

I don't inject, I only have information seen hear and from books and magazines. Insulin degrades if it is out of the fridge or exposed to the air for longer than certain periods.

It might be wise to talk to pharmacist or doctor and get advice from them.

Thanks guys i knew i could rely of you for an answer.

Gail, if your insulin is already drawn up into a syringe for you, the expiry is probably limited to seven days because of microbial contamination. Usually we do that sort of thing for people of chemotherapy and intravenous antibiotics, and if we make up a syringe, even if it's done in an isolation cabinet in a clean room, we limit the shelf life to less than seven days. It's not that the insulin is dirty, it's just that the syringe is no longer sterile and bugs are now free to settle on it and get into it and after seven days this is percieved to be becoming a risk. It's not the same with insulin pens or cartridges because of the way they're made, but i'm guessing that your syringes are regular luer lok thingies.

That's your pharmacy lesson for the day folks! Introduction to aseptics!

Rachel

thanks RachelT my syringes are regular ordinary ones Very interesting lesson
cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back