Our Future Health Research Programme

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin.A

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Our household received a letter yesterday inviting us to take part in this research programme. They're hoping to get 5 million volunteers on board. I was wondering whether anyone else had got this and what you think.

Our household received a letter yesterday inviting us to take part in this research programme. They're hoping to get 5 million volunteers on board. I was wondering whether anyone else had got this and what you think.
No we haven't received anything

Never heard of it! Are you thinking of taking part @Martin.A ?

Maybe. I registered so that I could read up on what's involved. They take a blood sample but it's for research purposes and not for a personal health assessment. In fact, they say that researchers won't even know whose blood it is.

Have you seen their website? Very glossy.

At least we know where the first load of money went........

Doesn't seem to have got that much publicity, though. Not like Biobank UK (as far as I remember).

There's a page about this on our very own Diabetes UK website, so looks like Diabetes UK were already on board, although I hadn't heard about the programme until I got the mail shot.

Last edited:
Just got mine today, in Wokingham. It does claim to be generating mailshots to random addresses.

Bit of a digression, but today I stumbled across a rather different organisation that I'd not previously come across - The King's Fund. I'll post about that in a seperate thread.

There's a page about this on our very own Diabetes UK website, so looks like Diabetes UK were already on board, although I hadn't heard about the programme until I got the mail shot.

Haha! Show how on top of things I am :rofl:

I’ve just received a phone call today from my local diabetic team on a study on long covid and diabetes, it also includes a number of tests, questionnaires and physical work. I have volunteered for it since I have not had covid but all of my family have, the nurse was interested on why I haven’t had covid and wants to know if I was happy enough to take part, which I am. It should take a couple of hours, I’m booked in for the 13th November, I will let you know how I get on .

I’ve just received a phone call today from my local diabetic team on a study on long covid and diabetes, it also includes a number of tests, questionnaires and physical work. I have volunteered for it since I have not had covid but all of my family have, the nurse was interested on why I haven’t had covid and wants to know if I was happy enough to take part, which I am. It should take a couple of hours, I’m booked in for the 13th November, I will let you know how I get on .

Sounds really interesting @Homer

I was involved in a few trials as a participant in my early years, and have headed up the patient/public involvement on a trial a few years back.

I’ve also signed up for a trials database to be approachable if I meet the criteria for anything, but haven’t had any invites from that.

I am registered, really brilliant cause in my opinion, waiting at the moment for blood tests to come to my area.

Sounds really interesting @Homer

I was involved in a few trials as a participant in my early years, and have headed up the patient/public involvement on a trial a few years back.

I’ve also signed up for a trials database to be approachable if I meet the criteria for anything, but haven’t had any invites from that.
Trials work is so important, I am also registered on the database and with our local hospital.

I received a letter. I noted that the participants do not get the results themselves, but they will contact you in the future to offer further services. This made me suspicious as I envisage that being something you get charged for, and may well be no more than we get as our annual checks.

I received a letter. I noted that the participants do not get the results themselves, but they will contact you in the future to offer further services. This made me suspicious as I envisage that being something you get charged for, and may well be no more than we get as our annual checks.
It’s purely for the benefit of medical research so to benefit us and future generations in developing treatments and tests to help us all, the website goes more info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back