Our ageist NHS is failing the people who need it most

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
If you?re going to be ill, my advice is simple: do it in Hackney. At the very least, make sure you?re not living in Leicestershire. For every pound per person spent on health care in Hackney, Leicestershire gets just 59 pence.

If you?re going to get cancer in the West Midlands, do it in central Birmingham, where the spend per head is ?10,052, not in Herefordshire, where it is ?5,092. Oh, and I should mention that Herefordshire has nearly three times as many patients per 100,000 people on the cancer register as Birmingham.

Yes, you read that right: half the funding, but three times the relative number of patients.

OK, OK, I hear you say. Yes of course there are regional variations in the National Health Service. Standards will never be uniform in an organisation which boasts 1.4 million staff, runs more than 2,000 hospitals, and deals with one million people every 36 hours. Nor should they be, because needs and priorities differ from place to place. Funding should reflect that.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/e...S-is-failing-the-people-who-need-it-most.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back