Ouch!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ukjeff27

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Stubbed my toe earlier this evening, hopped around the living room to the hilarity of the mrs and kids, then forgot about it.
About an hour later i noticed a dull throbbing and took off my sock to have a look, my middle toe is black, badly bruised i think, well i hope thats all it is! luckily i have an appointment with the diabetic nurse tomorrow and i shall let her have a look.
Are we more prone to bruising? i didnt hit it THAT hard, is this the type of thing we should be looking for when they say to check your feet?😱

Stubbed my toe earlier this evening, hopped around the living room to the hilarity of the mrs and kids, then forgot about it.
About an hour later i noticed a dull throbbing and took off my sock to have a look, my middle toe is black, badly bruised i think, well i hope thats all it is! luckily i have an appointment with the diabetic nurse tomorrow and i shall let her have a look.
Are we more prone to bruising? i didnt hit it THAT hard, is this the type of thing we should be looking for when they say to check your feet?😱

I do seem to bruise very easily. Indeed I pick up bruises without even feeling the bump that caused them. I currently have a wonderful collection of little doggy feetprints on me where madam has been mountaineering.

It's hard to say really - I certanily was black and blue when I was in hospital from all the tests! I also found that I bruised quite a lot from the injections at first - that still happens, but to a lesser degree. The bruisng should be OK, but the main thing you need to look for is if the skin gets broken and becomes infected. Higher than normal blood sugars can slow the healing process and encourage infections to get worse. Also, there is the worry that some diabetics may have lost some sensation in their feet so may not notice injuries like a cut or a stone in the shoe etc - so you have to actually look (or get someone else to look) on a daily basis so you can catch anything early.

Nurse should be able to advise Jeff, but keep an eye on it!🙂

Not sure if I bruise more easily now, but I have noticed after things like injections and blood tests I get a small bruise.

As well as infection, also look for swelling and increased pain - it could also be a mechanical injury ie sprain / strain / even broken bone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back