Ottolenghi curried cauliflower cheese pie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who’s up for working on this and getting it Low Carb then?

Or would filo be ok in moderation perhaps?

https://thehappyfoodie.co.uk/recipes/ottolenghi-curried-cauliflower-cheese-filo-pie/

I'd never have the filo, but that's really the gluten.

I might tend to do it and forget lining the base, but having chorizo wafer thin slices on top. LC cheesy sauce, rather than béchamel, but again that's the gluten. They chorizo slices would crisp up nicely.

Maybe too far from the starting inspiration....

Well the chorizo is a non-starter for me unless it's made from kosher pigs!

I'll see if I can find carb counts for filo though because it sounds delicious.

Well the chorizo is a non-starter for me unless it's made from kosher pigs!

I'll see if I can find carb counts for filo though because it sounds delicious.
Looks like nearly 60g carb per 100g but I suppose the sheets are very thin. I have made a spinach, mushroom and feta pie with filo and it only used 3 sheets, they were wrapped over to form the top.

each sheet of Justroll frozen filo is roughly 38g in weight. Of that it's 23g carbs.

As you say though it uses very few sheets to make a decent pie. BHF suggest filo is a "healthy" alternative to every other type of pastry. Bet they wouldn't say that if was in an apple strudel or mince pie topped with lashings of cream!!

The filo will add crunch but you can use less slices to reduce the carbs.

I have just looked at the recipe and there is a lot of carbs in the flour used in the cheese sauce. You can make a good cheese sauce low carb with Philadelphia and grated cheese with a bit of mustard or some chopped spring onion, no flour needed.

each sheet of Justroll frozen filo is roughly 38g in weight. Of that it's 23g carbs.
Size of the baking tin, that's about 3 sheets to give you the six layers, but you've get away with four layers, so say around 50g for the filo.
Low carb cheese sauce, 700g cauli, you're well on track for a low carb meal.

I have just looked at the recipe and there is a lot of carbs in the flour used in the cheese sauce. You can make a good cheese sauce low carb with Philadelphia and grated cheese with a bit of mustard or some chopped spring onion, no flour needed.
I’d not use his bechamel as it’s far too carby you’re right but it was more the mood of flavours and the filo which I find interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back