Other medication

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bics

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi, I'm currently taking 2 metformin daily. I'm due to have my bloods taken at the doctors next week. Last time they were around 65. I know this will be high as I have been away for a month and not really been controlling carbs etc.. Does anyone know what other tablets there are to take alongside metformin if my results are high or could I alter my diet more, or is it just insulin they would prescribe?

By itself Metformin only has a moderate effect and it sounds like you may be on a low dose (1000mg?). It has to be used with lifestyle changes (Diet and weight loss usually with more exercise). If it doesn't come down they can either add more Metformin (Max is around 2500mg after that the effect doesn't increase), or then try a 'dual therapy' with another T2 drug. If 2 don't bring it down, they can add a third.

There's a flow chart online that shows GPs how to deal with T2 and the different steps taken to try to get BG under control.

Insulin is a last resort once medications/lifestyle fails. (Although there is an argument that for T2s with a very high hba1c insulin therapy straight away can help relieve the strain on the pancreas.)

Last edited:
Hi, I'm currently taking 2 metformin daily. I'm due to have my bloods taken at the doctors next week. Last time they were around 65. I know this will be high as I have been away for a month and not really been controlling carbs etc.. Does anyone know what other tablets there are to take alongside metformin if my results are high or could I alter my diet more, or is it just insulin they would prescribe?
Next step is moving onto an effective dose of Metformin either 1500 or 2000. In addition a Sulphonylurea might added such as Gliclazide. In addition there other important medications to help manage the consequences of T2 Diabetes such as Statins ( to manage Diabetic Dyslipidemia), Ace Inhibitors ( to protect the kidneys. The 'prils' like ramipril and lisinopril) and other anti-hypertensive drugs.

Oral medication can only do so much and just adding more and more medication without reducing or removing the source of the glucose, that is carbohydrates in your diet you will have limited success.
I would think a priority is looking at your intake of carbs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back