OTC scan at opticians vs NHS diabetic eye screening?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emilymay

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
She/Her
Was recently diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes and have promptly been invited for my first diabetic eye screening. Reading into this appointment I don’t like the sound of drops being put into my eyes which will cause blurring and light sensitivity (regardless of how minor it is, it’s not something I want) specsavers on their website say that they’re OTC scans scan for diabetic retinopathy and looking at this article
OTC seems more advance than the screening you’d get at the appointment and for the sake of an extra £6 I’d rather the painless no drop option.

So just wanted some advice if the OTC scan can replace the diabetic eye screening?

Some heath authorities do use the services of Specsavers for the screening and it is then free and the results will be fed back to your GP but I not sure if that would happen if you go to them privately for the screening.
The drops are not really a problem, they sting a bit initially but they are to dilate the pupils so they can get a good image. The effect wears off quite quickly but your eyes are light sensitive for a few hours.

I am not sure they send the pictures to be analyzed to the NHS screening service, that happens with the screening service. The NHS screening service also send you a report on your results. Specsavers don't.

Last edited:
I am not sure they send the pictures to be analyzed to the NHS screening service, that happens with the screening service. The NHS screening service also send you a report on your results. Specsavers don't.
Surely specsavers will analyse the results? If not what’s the point of doing the scan?

I would not go back to Specsavers for any money.
The one on Poole High St gave me glasses which were wrong for my eyes. I could have killed someone as, due to there being no 'prism' in the glasses I was ignoring all I saw through my left eye. They told me that they had checked the prism requirement with my previous optician. They lied.

Some heath authorities do use the services of Specsavers for the screening and it is then free and the results will be fed back to your GP but I not sure if that would happen if you go to them privately for the screening.
The drops are not really a problem, they sting a bit initially but they are to dilate the pupils so they can get a good image. The effect wears off quite quickly but your eyes are light sensitive for a few hours.
Perfect might just stick with specsavers then! £6 is only a small price to pay. Really don’t like the idea of anyone going near my eyes with stinging drops.

I would not go back to Specsavers for any money.
The one on Poole High St gave me glasses which were wrong for my eyes. I could have killed someone as, due to there being no 'prism' in the glasses I was ignoring all I saw through my left eye. They told me that they had checked the prism requirement with my previous optician. They lied.
Oh no :( I’m sorry to hear that!

Perfect might just stick with specsavers then! £6 is only a small price to pay. Really don’t like the idea of anyone going near my eyes with stinging drops.

They do sting but only for a second or two. Getting shampoo in your eyes stings worse because it lasts longer.

They do sting but only for a second or two. Getting shampoo in your eyes stings worse because it lasts longer.
It’s not just the stinging it’s the blurriness and the light sensitivity. Sounds horrid and unnecessary when I can pay £6 for a painless and more advanced option.

Sounds horrid and unnecessary when I can pay £6 for a painless and more advanced option.
I regard it as a minor annoyance. It's a couple of hours once a year. Having the scans through the system means they know you've had it and know the results (I believe the scans themselves are compared year to year).

Both myself and other half had bad experience with Specsavers, unusable glasses which they denied being incorrect prescription.

Regardless of whether Specsavers are good or not the purpose of the drops is to dilate your eyes so that the photograph has an optimum clarity to allow minor blood vessel changes to be seen and recorded. Having this done through the NHS service brings a consistency and long term record as years go by. Will your Specsavers branch be in business forever? If not where will your photos be placed?

To my mind this is not about an extra £6 or whatever, its about your long term health.

I regard it as a minor annoyance. It's a couple of hours once a year. Having the scans through the system means they know you've had it and know the results (I believe the scans themselves are compared year to year).
It’s not just a couple of hours though. I would have to take the day off work at my expense. A day off I currently can’t afford.

Regardless of whether Specsavers are good or not the purpose of the drops is to dilate your eyes so that the photograph has an optimum clarity to allow minor blood vessel changes to be seen and recorded. Having this done through the NHS service brings a consistency and long term record as years go by. Will your Specsavers branch be in business forever? If not where will your photos be placed?

To my mind this is not about an extra £6 or whatever, its about your long term health.
https://www.fhft.nhs.uk/media/6650/3b-optical-coherence-tomography.docx

The more I research the more I’m questioning why the NHS bother. So if something does come up on the 2D scan they’d refer me for an OTC scan anyway? Seems like the NHS being cheap and using old technology (as per always)
I’ll ask for a copy of my results. That way I’ve always got them to hand. Specsavers keep copies anyway and can’t see them going out of business anytime soon.
Thank you.

https://www.fhft.nhs.uk/media/6650/3b-optical-coherence-tomography.docx

The more I research the more I’m questioning why the NHS bother. So if something does come up on the 2D scan they’d refer me for an OTC scan anyway? Seems like the NHS being cheap and using old technology (as per always)
I’ll ask for a copy of my results. That way I’ve always got them to hand. Specsavers keep copies anyway and can’t see them going out of business anytime soon.
Thank you.
It looks like you have made your mind up anyway. It is always your choice.

It’s not just the stinging it’s the blurriness and the light sensitivity. Sounds horrid and unnecessary when I can pay £6 for a painless and more advanced option.

The blurriness is weird but totally painless. You can still see and walk around. It’s like forgetting your glasses and not being able to read print easily. It’s recommended that you wear sunglasses afterwards so the light sensitivity isn’t really an issue 🙂

It’s not just a couple of hours though. I would have to take the day off work at my expense. A day off I currently can’t afford.
Could you request an appointment late in the day?
Most employers are flexible to some degree when it comes to medical appointments
I would never risk my vision due to a few seconds of discomfort from the pupil expanding drops. I requested a late afternoon appointment and went to the shops afterwards, so going home in the dark meant the light sensitivity was not an issue.

Was recently diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes and have promptly been invited for my first diabetic eye screening. Reading into this appointment I don’t like the sound of drops being put into my eyes which will cause blurring and light sensitivity (regardless of how minor it is, it’s not something I want) specsavers on their website say that they’re OTC scans scan for diabetic retinopathy and looking at this article
OTC seems more advance than the screening you’d get at the appointment and for the sake of an extra £6 I’d rather the painless no drop option.

So just wanted some advice if the OTC scan can replace the diabetic eye screening?
I paid £10 at spec savers for this service while there for an eye test shortly after diagnosis. I mentioned to them that I was diabetic and waiting for an NHS retina scan and was told that I should still go for the scan as that would be more in depth than the Specsavers eye scan. The drops do sting a little for a short time and you are advised not to drive. I walked to the appointment, but shortly afterwards I probably would have been able to drive as my eyes returned to normal very quickly. I would say there is only a
slight discomfort with the drops and nothing to worry about.

I asked for a late appointment on a Friday afternoon so managed to avoid taking time off work. The medical centre was only a couple of miles away from my home. Unfortunately these NHS appointments will always cause some inconvenience, but they will usually be able to give you the most suitable appointments within their opening hours if you ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back