Osteoarthritis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Totalwar

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Anyone know what pain relief you can take.I research it and says you can’t use ibuprofen as can cause heart failure in thoses with diabetes.Is it also true that osteoarthritis will be worse for thoses with diabetes.

I found cutting my carbs right down and eating more natural fat made a huge difference to my joint pain. I also find that walking is important as it helps to prevent the build up of fluid in the joints which can happen with arthritis. I think vitamin D may also be important, so if you don't take a supplement for that, look into it, as we don't get enough from sunlight during the winter here in the UK.

I can't really advise you on pain killers as paracetamol is my go to for nerve pain like a headache or for temperature control ie fever, but I guess you need something for inflammation. I know that Ibuprofen should not be used long term, and I still occasionally take a couple, but I didn't realize there was a specific problem for those of us with diabetes.

I’ve just got off the phone to my doctor as I’ve got tonsillitis and she’s just told me to take ibuprofen & paracetamol knowing I’m type 1….

In general the issue with taking anti inflammatory medication long term at high doses is it can have an effect on your stomach which is often why medication like omeprazole is also prescribed.

@Jimmy2202 - @Totalwar has Type 2 hence why he's asking this.

If a person knows they have osteoporosis, someone 'medical' has officially diagnosed it hence their GP knows they have it as well as already knowing about their diabetes - hence I'd be asking my GP whether they thought it was OK for me or not.

I seem to vaguely recall a kidney issue with anti inflammatories taken for any length of time, rather than a heart one. (as well as the stomach acid one already mentioned, which is really common with or without diabetes)

When my knee was particularly painful I was told about kidney issues by my GP, who suggested that ibuprofen gel was a better bet. It did work pretty well as I remember.

@Jimmy2202 - @Totalwar has Type 2 hence why he's asking this.

If a person knows they have osteoporosis, someone 'medical' has officially diagnosed it hence their GP knows they have it as well as already knowing about their diabetes - hence I'd be asking my GP whether they thought it was OK for me or not.

I seem to vaguely recall a kidney issue with anti inflammatories taken for any length of time, rather than a heart one. (as well as the stomach acid one already mentioned, which is really common with or without diabetes)

If you look back to the original post on 2 occasions only ‘diabetes’ is mentioned, actually

Yes I saw about kidney problems as well and yes GP just gave me text with the results of X-ray a link to exercises that was it no help with pain relief.

Ah well Jim - I normally look at forums on my laptop so I can immediately see that whoever has whatever Type of diabetes - and then by merely highlighting their user name, other basic info. I know you don't get as much info on phones though and find that frustrating whenever I'm away from home and decide to have a look at the forum without a laptop.

@Totalwar - in that case you need to go back to the GP and explain better that you are in pain so would like some help with that please, and say you know that ibuprofen has recently been linked to heart disease in Type 2 diabetes which is why you are ow asking him/her what to take.

There has been rumblings around long term use of anti-inflammtory drugs for at least a decade. I personally don't take ibuprofen as it aggravates my perianl rhinitis, making my nose pour for hours.

Anyone know what pain relief you can take.I research it and says you can’t use ibuprofen as can cause heart failure in thoses with diabetes.Is it also true that osteoarthritis will be worse for thoses with diabetes.

Took Ibuprofen for 3 months in 2021 with no ill effect, don't think you can take them long term so best to speak with a gp for alternatives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back