Orlando Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.

bev

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
HI all,
Just wondering if any of you have been to Orlando in Florida? Alex went when he was 4 - doesnt remember much - and of course - he wasnt diabetic then. Just wondering what the medical care is like there as hoping to book for next year.🙂Bev

HI all,
Just wondering if any of you have been to Orlando in Florida? Alex went when he was 4 - doesnt remember much - and of course - he wasnt diabetic then. Just wondering what the medical care is like there as hoping to book for next year.🙂Bev

I have been 7 times to Orlando (I love disney lol), have been twice since being diabetic, but can't help you with the medical care as I have never needed it thank god, I had a hypo in Disney once but my friend was there and she sorted me out so that was ok.

never been bev but my mum was in tempe florida when she broke her hip and the hospital, although very allien system, was very good and it was all covered by her insurance...make sure your insurance is good and covers everything🙂

i went when i was 16 (oh god...6 years ago). as far as i remember my mum just made sure she got insurance that covered me. might be worth looking into a frio pack??

in terms of insurance stories...last year my mum went to the US with her partner, who has family over there. they took his mum, who is in her 70s, type 2, had had strokes, etc - basically she was a big risk of something happening. she ended up having a massive stroke over there, she went straight to hospital and was treated, but they basically held my mum's partner in the office until the insurance people faxed over all in the info! from the sounds of it they pretty much locked him in the room with a member of staff (just in case he'd do a runner or something?!). it all got sorted after a couple of hours and she was fine in the end!

never been bev but my mum was in tempe florida when she broke her hip and the hospital, although very allien system, was very good and it was all covered by her insurance...make sure your insurance is good and covers everything🙂

Totally agree get good insurance.. my experience of medical care in the USA is when I used to go out with somebody in Florida.. she had to go into hospital for a couple of ops, I found the care to be good and very much like the UK care to be honest (and one of the nurses kept on trying to recruit me when she found out I was a nurse lol).. I have also experienced the ER in Florida as well when her kids (all adults mind) were in the ER again it was very much like the UK, over worked staff and the same problems as over here.

The 3 hospitals that I have heard of in Orlando are:

Florida Hospital
Arnold Palmer Hospital for Children
Orlando Regional Medical Center

I went to florida last year and was pretty nervous but i went well prepared like above advice there, first couple days my bs was bit over the place but then i was fine and had fantastic holiday🙂

I hope you have a fantastic holiday. The best advice I can give is think about travel insurance and talk to the company you are booked with and see what they advise.

Im so jealous I love Florida! We went almost 2 years ago to Disney & the down to Sanibel island. Lovely & so much fun. Felt a bit shakey a few times while in the Disney parks. Especially when I came off the Tower of Terror ride. Theres lots of places to sit though & loads of drink stalls & shops that you can pop into if in need of aircon to cool yourselves down. Insurance is so important as everyone has said & with that it should all be fine.

We had to use ours in the second week as husband was having palpitations probably due to the heat in Sanibel - was 100 most days - and although the surgery we went to didnt accept travel insurance they were so helpful & we had an emergency use credit card so could pay for the treatment on that. Best doctors service I have ever experienced. Insurance sorted refund when we got back. Im sure Orlando is fine with accepting travel insurance though as they have a huge amount of tourists.

Hopefully we will be heading back there soon cos its just so much fun & so lovely and sunny

Hi Bev,
Many moons ago when i was 10 we went to Florida and i had a bad throat infection that sent me DKA. Ended up in a Florida hospital for 4 days. The treatment was first class and i was really well looked after. My parents said the staff were fantastic. Only problem was our insurance, parents had checked it covered diabetes which it did. But didn't cover if my illness on holiday was caused by diabetes. We fought the case and won with the full backing of florida doctors. The ketones were infact brought on by severe throut infection.
Hope this helps, don't want to scare people with story but i did take ill in florida but was treated first class. Enjoy, i love florida, so much went back for our honeymoon. x

Given the happenings of the last forty eight hours I'd definitely do some reading into the health care plan that Obama has launched. The cynic in me says that it won't cover visitors to the US so I would fully advise getting some insurance for your trip.

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back