Original Free Style Libre to be discontinued

Status
Not open for further replies.

khskel

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Just received an E Mail from Abbot

Now is the time to move over to the FreeStyle Libre 2 sensor which has all the benefits of the original FreeStyle Libre sensors, PLUS additional benefits.

Abbott’s diabetes care division is constantly striving to design more innovative products and develop our support services to meet the changing needs of people with diabetes. As part of our product improvement plans a decision has been taken to discontinue the original FreeStyle Libre sensors in the UK by the 31st December 2022.

Email arrived this morning, not surprised by announcement as libre 3 is already out, so incomparison to 2 & 3 versions libre 1 is dated now.

After having great experience with libre 2 can't wait to get hands on 3, will be something else not having to scan.

I'm sad about this as I like the original Libre. It works really well for me and I don't feel I need the extra features. The Libre 2 may be better but some people have definitely had more problems with it than Libre 1 so I intend to stick with the original until I am forced to change in December. :(

I'm sad about this as I like the original Libre. It works really well for me and I don't feel I need the extra features. The Libre 2 may be better but some people have definitely had more problems with it than Libre 1 so I intend to stick with the original until I am forced to change in December. :(
I'm the same was offered the libre 2 when it first came out Said I'd stick with with libre 1 Had heard some bad reviews on two . Looks like we will have to change now

Hope L2 works out well for the remaining L1 users.

I got on well with L1, but have to say I found L2 an improvement, even with no alarms activated.

I have been using the Libre 1 for 5 years, partnered up with a Blucon, xDrip+, smartphone, and smartwatch for real time CGM, and alarms. That set up allows the smartwatch to display the CGM data even with the smartphone turned off.
I have tried the Libre 2, and it connects to xDrip+ without the need of a blucon, which is great, but it needs to be connected to a smartphone to display on the smartwatch, which is a bit of a nuisance, and feels like a downgrade.

Thanks for the Libre 1, it was a breakthrough.

I have been using the Libre 1 for 5 years, partnered up with a Blucon, xDrip+, smartphone, and smartwatch for real time CGM, and alarms. That set up allows the smartwatch to display the CGM data even with the smartphone turned off.
I have tried the Libre 2, and it connects to xDrip+ without the need of a blucon, which is great, but it needs to be connected to a smartphone to display on the smartwatch, which is a bit of a nuisance, and feels like a downgrade.

Thanks for the Libre 1, it was a breakthrough.
You may be interested in this xDrip+ smartwatch? https://bluejay.website/shop/product/bluejay-gts-26
I’ve had one for about a year now and it works great most of the time, with only occasionally hiccups that are usually fixed by a reboot.

You may be interested in this xDrip+ smartwatch? https://bluejay.website/shop/product/bluejay-gts-26
I’ve had one for about a year now and it works great most of the time, with only occasionally hiccups that are usually fixed by a reboot.
Thanks for the link, have you been using the watch with xDrip and Libre 2 without a smartphone? The help section says the watch works without a phone for G5 and G6 sensors, but not for Libre.
I think the data encryption added to Libre 2 is the bugbear preventing the watch to achieve stand alone use.

Thanks for the link, have you been using the watch with xDrip and Libre 2 without a smartphone? The help section says the watch works without a phone for G5 and G6 sensors, but not for Libre.
I think the data encryption added to Libre 2 is the bugbear preventing the watch to achieve stand alone use.
No. I’m still on the Libre 1. You’re right about Libre2 encryption being an issue. I’d forgotten all about that, to be honest - hence my earlier post

I work around the problem by running xDrip+ on a dedicated Android phone I keep in a belt holder. Once I put it in the holder in the morning I pretty much forget about it unless an alert goes off and/or I need to snooze alerts. My main phone is an IPhone and that’s the one I use for Librelink.

Not sure if/when the BluJay watch will work with Libre2. Guess I’ll just have to wait and see.

I have to say that so far the accuracy of the libre 2 sensor has been amazing. Difference between it and a finger test usually less than 0.5. Let's hope it stays so.

I still have a couple of L1s so take them away on holiday in case my pump/sensor fails. They are well travelled and probably out of date, but good enough as a back up.

Aff8tears of trying for CGM my clinic will probably find me Libre 1 in a cupboard and dust it off! 🙂
I'm laughing but it really isn't funny at all when you could desperately do with Libre. Please push your health care professionals for it. All Type 1s should be offered Libre now and in your situation it is even more important, so do make a nuisance of yourself until you get it and if they still say "No!" contact Partha Kar who I am sure will advocate on your behalf and get it sorted. Don't delay. Tell them you need it now!

All Type 1s should be offered Libre now and in your situation it is even more important, so do make a nuisance of yourself until you get it and if they still say "No!" contact Partha Kar who I am sure will advocate on your behalf and get it sorted.
He just tweeted that of the English regions that weren't following the NICE guidelines there's now only one left: Cambridgeshire & Peterborough’s Integrated Care System. (With another one with the support rolling out in a staged process.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back