Organ Transplant - Radio 4 Programme

Status
Not open for further replies.

MCH

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pronouns
She/Her
Just a quick note to say there was short bit on radio 4 this morning regarding transplants and apparently they will have the whole article on “File on Four” tonight (Tuesday 24th November) at 8pm.

The wee bit I heard was talking about use of organs from people who had had cancer and other illnesses as well as people who had used drugs or smoked etc. (Not that they were saying the 2 were the same in any way, they were just talking really about the quality in general of the available organs at the moment.)

Last edited:
Sounds interesting MCH, those FOF programmes are usually very well put together, will have a listen!

I listened to it and it was chiefly about transplant patients not being told that they were being given skanky organs from ne'er-do-wells, rather than how people with diseases can still donate. Still interesting though!

I listened to it and it was chiefly about transplant patients not being told that they were being given skanky organs from ne'er-do-wells, rather than how people with diseases can still donate. Still interesting though!

Thanks, I'm afraid I missed it as I had a church meeting at the time. Will try and catch it on i-player tomorrow though.

Thanks, I'm afraid I missed it as I had a church meeting at the time. Will try and catch it on i-player tomorrow though.

Interestingly it did raise the question of 'Is the doctor always right?' As a lot of us know, with diabetes we often know much more than them.

Have at last managed to hear it. 🙂

I agree that it was about the quality of organs being used, but think that it also seems that if we want to, we can fill out the form and it will then depend on a number of things whether (and which) of our 'bits' can be used or not.

At least we are not "barred" as such from attempting to donate - and if we tick the research box at least we might be useful for something!

Interestingly it did raise the question of 'Is the doctor always right?' As a lot of us know, with diabetes we often know much more than them.

That's always the way with chronic conditions. The 'sufferer' has had so many years to gather expertise that a GP just doesn't have the time for. Try telling them that though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back