Oregon Health & Science University gets hit with second MRI suit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
A diabetic woman has sued Oregon Health & Science University for administering an MRI without having her remove her insulin pump -- causing the pump to malfunction and almost kill her, according to the suit.

Terrie Rodman, a Sellwood-area grandmother, underwent magnetic resonance imaging of her spine at OHSU in June 2013. According to her suit, she filled out a questionnaire noting she wore an insulin pump, but OHSU employees did not instruct her to remove it. Nor did they have her remove her metal medical alert bracelet.

OHSU spokesperson said the university cannot comment, citing the litigation as well as personal privacy laws. The suit was filed Feb. 5 in Multnomah County Circuit Court.

The suit shows the potential hazards of bringing metal into an MRI. This is the second MRI-related lawsuit against OHSU in a year.

http://www.oregonlive.com/health/index.ssf/2014/02/oregon_health_science_universi_25.html

No hypo treatments by her bed? Tut! I think I might have taken my pump and bracelet off before getting into a giant magnet...🙄

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back