Oral thrush

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lint111

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I'm type 2,since last year.
Doctor told me I have oral thrush.
My tongue is sore,can't taste anything, and everything taste like syrup.
The nystan does not seem to be helping.
Any advice would be helpful.

Hi @Lint111 , sorry to hear you have oral thrush. Unfortunately it is fairly common, especially amongst diabetics apparently according to my dentist. I also have increased risk of it due to using asthma steroid inhalers (always rinse your mouth out with water after using the inhaler is the advice there).

Periodically I use Daktarin oral gel which does a good job of keeping the thrush at bay. It’s pretty expensive to buy OTC at around £6 for a small tube, but my dentist does me a private prescription so that I can buy a large, toothpaste sized tube for £10 which lasts a lot longer. Also a tongue scraper may help in removing any growth on the tongue.

I'm type 2,since last year.
Doctor told me I have oral thrush.
My tongue is sore,can't taste anything, and everything taste like syrup.
The nystan does not seem to be helping.
Any advice would be helpful.
Advice would be to make sure your blood sugars are as normal as possible and if this is the case then you need to talk to your Dr again 🙂

Corsodyl mouthwash or gel can also help with oral thrush.
It is usually caused by a yeast infection and yeast love a sugary and acidic environment.
You could also try life yoghurt to rebalance the environment in your mouth and of course oral hygiene is important for prevention as well as keeping your blood glucose as good as you can.
The problem with the mouth is the treatments don't stay in contact with the area needed for long so something systemic may be required.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back