• Please Remember: Members are only permitted to share their own experiences. Members are not qualified to give medical advice. Additionally, everyone manages their health differently. Please be respectful of other people's opinions about their own diabetes management.
  • Take a look at our new Type 2 Diabetes Remission section on the Diabetes UK website: https://www.diabetes.org.uk/diabetes-the-basics/type-2-remission

Oral Semaglutide type 2

Juliasusan

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi all
is anyone on the clinical trial for this drug?
I’ve been invited to join the trial and wondered how it was going for those that are on it? Interested to hear if you have lost weight because of it, and generally any other side affects?
I’m not particularly looking to loose weight, but I do know the injection version of it is Saxenda, a weight loss drug.
I’d appreciate any feedback. :)

Hi all
is anyone on the clinical trial for this drug?
I’ve been invited to join the trial and wondered how it was going for those that are on it? Interested to hear if you have lost weight because of it, and generally any other side affects?
I’m not particularly looking to loose weight, but I do know the injection version of it is Saxenda, a weight loss drug.
I’d appreciate any feedback. :)
Just to point out that Saxenda is liraglutide, an earlier discovery than semaglutide. Injectible semaglutide is Ozempic or Wegovy, depending on indication & dose.

Both lira- and semaglutide started out as diabetes drugs; the weight loss effects were unexpected. Nice piece in the NY Times today on the history, impact etc of these types of drugs: https://www.nytimes.com/2023/08/17/health/weight-loss-drugs-obesity-ozempic-wegovy.html

There are a bunch of oral semaglutide trials happening. Latest one to report: https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(23)01127-3/fulltext

Our friend Tess who we hadn't seen for ages but did, earlier this year had been started on the tablets 2 years ago and up to Coronation weekend this year - had lost 2 stone by then! and was hence, mega happy with it. Said she was never hungry now - and hoped her GP would continue to prescribe it as she could still do with more weight off and although of course she'd bought some new clothes was loath to replace any more right then. I said I hoped she'd get her script renewed but haven't seen her since. Incidentally, she also joined a walking group, I think via her local U3A and forever telling us on Facebook where they've been today!

Our friend Tess who we hadn't seen for ages but did, earlier this year had been started on the tablets 2 years ago and up to Coronation weekend this year - had lost 2 stone by then! and was hence, mega happy with it. Said she was never hungry now - and hoped her GP would continue to prescribe it as she could still do with more weight off and although of course she'd bought some new clothes was loath to replace any more right then. I said I hoped she'd get her script renewed but haven't seen her since. Incidentally, she also joined a walking group, I think via her local U3A and forever telling us on Facebook where they've been today!
I hope she can get her script renewed - I don't think semaglutide for weight loss is available anywhere except the US and some Euro countries right now, until they get more manufacturing on line.

Just to point out that Saxenda is liraglutide, an earlier discovery than semaglutide. Injectible semaglutide is Ozempic or Wegovy, depending on indication & dose.

Both lira- and semaglutide started out as diabetes drugs; the weight loss effects were unexpected. Nice piece in the NY Times today on the history, impact etc of these types of drugs: https://www.nytimes.com/2023/08/17/health/weight-loss-drugs-obesity-ozempic-wegovy.html

There are a bunch of oral semaglutide trials happening. Latest one to report: https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(23)01127-3/fulltext
Thanks for this. I have no idea why I said saxenda rather than ozempic, I did know this. I guess I’m watching too many TikTok saxenda posts come up when I scroll!

I hope she can get her script renewed - I don't think semaglutide for weight loss is available anywhere except the US and some Euro countries right now, until they get more manufacturing on line.
Eddy - she has T2 and No Way could she possibly eat less because when you're hungry you simply have to eat until you are full. End of story as far as she was concerned. She's utterly gobsmacked that smaller portions of things can possibly keep her alive, let alone anything else. Very definite about that, she was! and clearly her GP (a lady incidentally) knows her well enough to decide to prescribe 'the Miracle Drug'.

Compare this to another mutual female friend who told us she'd been diagnosed with prediabetes in January this year and asked what I reckoned she ought to do dietwise - to which I explained the concept of lower carb-ing - ie cut down a bit on spuds, rice, pasta, bread and defo on stodgey puds and sugary stuff and see what happens. Saw her just after we saw Tess - and she thanked me, since her HbA1c is now under 40 AND she's lost weight AND her chol level has reduced. Plus - no plans to now eat more crap anytime soon.

Hey Ho. Some are able to learn, and some, sadly, are not.

to which I explained the concept of lower carb-ing - ie cut down a bit on spuds, rice, pasta, bread and defo on stodgey puds and sugary stuff and see what happens. Saw her just after we saw Tess - and she thanked me, since her HbA1c is now under 40 AND she's lost weight AND her chol level has reduced. Plus - no plans to now eat more crap anytime soon.

Great result for her! Glad she was able to do so well with your advice.

Back