Oral fluconazole

Status
Not open for further replies.

HalfpipMarathon

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Have purchased the above along with some cream however Boots won't issue more than one packet of oral Fluconazole; apparently if its recurrent you have to see your GP. I am going to ring tomorrow and see if I can get an appointment. This is what I don't understand surely they know how difficult it is to get a Dr's appointment.

How long do the effects of Fluconazole last? I only ask as going away Friday and returning home Monday so when I take it depends on how long it takes to work and how long the effects last.

Also I have read that some people buy it online where you can get 3 tablets for the price of one. Is this a good idea? I feel I need a daily dose for a week unless it's something else.

It doesn't itch all the time though which is strange.

Have purchased the above along with some cream however Boots won't issue more than one packet of oral Fluconazole; apparently if its recurrent you have to see your GP. I am going to ring tomorrow and see if I can get an appointment. This is what I don't understand surely they know how difficult it is to get a Dr's appointment.

How long do the effects of Fluconazole last? I only ask as going away Friday and returning home Monday so when I take it depends on how long it takes to work and how long the effects last.

Also I have read that some people buy it online where you can get 3 tablets for the price of one. Is this a good idea? I feel I need a daily dose for a week unless it's something else.

It doesn't itch all the time though which is strange.
Have a look at this NHS information as it looks as if the dose and length of time needed depends on your actual condition.
It implies it should work fairly quickly to relieve symptoms.
What won't help is if your blood glucose is high as the yeast causing the infection just love a sugary environment.
If you are taking any of the flozin meds that can cause yeast infection. That may be why Boots will not sell you more than just 3. You could of course go to another pharmacy.

@HalfpipMarathon If you take one capsule of fluconazole, you can’t take another for 7 days. If one plus a second one 7 days later doesn’t do the trick, you should see a GP to check it’s actually thrush and not something else. Fluconazole works in a day or two.

@HalfpipMarathon If you take one capsule of fluconazole, you can’t take another for 7 days. If one plus a second one 7 days later doesn’t do the trick, you should see a GP to check it’s actually thrush and not something else. Fluconazole works in a day or two.
OK thanks. How long do the effects of Fluconazole last? Once it starts o work. I'm going to call GP tomorrow to arrange an appointment to see if it is thrush or something else.

I'm back in work Weds and Thurs and then going away Friday so as long as the effects last a while. Googling it says 6 days but assume that's not standard.

Have a look at this NHS information as it looks as if the dose and length of time needed depends on your actual condition.
It implies it should work fairly quickly to relieve symptoms.
What won't help is if your blood glucose is high as the yeast causing the infection just love a sugary environment.
If you are taking any of the flozin meds that can cause yeast infection. That may be why Boots will not sell you more than just 3. You could of course go to another pharmacy.
I'm taking xguido which is Dapagliflozin/Metformin combined. I only test once a day, sometimes twice but my blood sugar has been fine however it might be higher when I am not testing.

I don't know any other pharmacy that might stock Fluconazole and if I did no idea if they might have the same policy as Boots.

Not had an episode since last year but I didn't need a second tablet when I did take one.

I’d say Google was right. Maybe 5 or 6 days.

So I'm assuming the 5 or 6 days don't include the two days it takes to work. So if I take it say today it should be working by Thurs and the effects should last until next Tues/Wed of course I could be wrong.

If you take it tonight, I’d say you’d start feeling better Wednesday daytime (if it is thrush).

If you take it tonight, I’d say you’d start feeling better Wednesday daytime (if it is thrush).
Thank you.

I have read water is helpful to flush sugars out and reduce recurrence of thrush. Know it doesn't cure thrush of course. However I struggle to drink a lot of plain water except in coffee.

Hopefully I can find out if it's really thrush or something else.

If it’s thrush from high sugars, then sorting those will be a big help. Other advice is to shower not bath, use unscented products in that area, avoid wearing tight trousers, synthetic pants and tights, and to use non-biological washing powder.

I hope you feel more comfortable soon.

If it’s thrush from high sugars, then sorting those will be a big help. Other advice is to shower not bath, use unscented products in that area, avoid wearing tight trousers, synthetic pants and tights, and to use non-biological washing powder.

I hope you feel more comfortable soon.
I do shower as don't have a bath. I have been using VagisiI wash but may be I should stop? I only test once or twice a day and my levels sugars are always under 10 when I test usually in the morning and sometimes before bed however it's possible if my bs is high in between it could be responsible.

Thank you.

Last edited:
I do shower as don't have a bath. I have been using VagisiI wash but may be I should stop? I only test once or twice a day and my levels sugars are always under 10 when I test usually in the morning and sometimes before bed however it's possible if my bs is high in between it could be responsible.

Thank you.
There are some Natural treatments in this link, I had certainly heard of yoghurt as being used.
It might be worth getting some urine dip sticks to check if you have glucose in your urine as that will encourage the yeast that causes thrush, Candida albicans. There are quite a few over the counter things like the Canesten

There are some Natural treatments in this link, I had certainly heard of yoghurt as being used.
It might be worth getting some urine dip sticks to check if you have glucose in your urine as that will encourage the yeast that causes thrush, Candida albicans. There are quite a few over the counter things like the Canesten
I prefer the tablet form more convenient than a pessary.

I am going to see what happens when I take the Fluconazole first. I usually wear pants to bed but going to see if not wearing helps. I have been using Vagisil wash in the shower which seems to help.

I prefer the tablet form more convenient than a pessary.

I am going to see what happens when I take the Fluconazole first. I usually wear pants to bed but going to see if not wearing helps. I have been using Vagisil wash in the shower which seems to help.
Sometimes you need a combination of therapies. Canesten cream may be better than Vagisil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back