Optium Xceed Meter

Status
Not open for further replies.

allisonb

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Does anyone else use this type of meter and find it unreliable? I've recently acquired this model from my DSN because I'd been using my old meter for six years and it had seen better days, but I'm finding the results extremely variable. For example, did a blood test when I got up this morning, 6.2. No breakfast or drink or anything, another test when I got to work two hours later and meter says 14.5. Can't be right I think so I repeat the test, 6.5. That's more like it!

Am I doing something wrong or does anyone know if I can do something to make the meter a bit more reliable. I'm testing lots at the moment because of the pregnancy and don't want to end up giving myself a corrective dose if I don't need one!

Allison

I use the Optium Xceed and only had that happen once in 6 months where i tested and was 4.5 on one finger and then 16.9 on another but I put it down to something being on there as had used a hand cream, hasn't happened since though 🙂

Ive got an Optium Xceed and I think its brilliant , its realiable and I can do blood Ketone tests on it too .🙂🙂 maybe you had a dodgy strip or something on your hands which effected the reading in some way.:confused:

Ive got an Optium Xceed and I think its brilliant , its realiable and I can do blood Ketone tests on it too .🙂🙂 maybe you had a dodgy strip or something on your hands which effected the reading in some way.:confused:

I totally agree Anne-Marie, I do my ketones on it too and have never had a problem other than that one incident 🙂

Never really had a problem with either of my xceeds or either of my optiums before that. It does sound like contamination to me. Hand creams as AngelEyes mentioned can be a problem.

I have more of a problem with the odd occasion when I do not get enough blood the first time and it reading low as a result, despite trying not to "milk" the blood. But that doesnt happen very often and its my own fault for not getting enough blood out.

Just make sure you wash your hands well, make sure any soap etc is gone, dry and make sure you do not touch anything with your test finger until you stab it and you should be ok.

Hiya

Nathan has just been given an xceed by the DSN at his last clinic appointment. I asked for one simply for the blood ketones..as for the past 2 1/2 years everytime Nathan has been ill...we have had to dip his urine with the ketosticks to check for ketones.

Some handcreams and hand wash contain alcohol this can affect the BG reading.

Heidi
🙂

I use the One Touch Ultra II. How clean my hands are and what I have been touching prior to the test can make a difference to the reading. I think these kinds of variables affect most meters.

the only reason I get for bad results on mine is when I don't get enough blood same as VBH, sometimes it will accept the sample but I can tell it will read lower.

I had an incident once where I tested (accuchek aviva meter), didn't believe the result so tested again - radically different, so tested a third time...different again! I checked the meter with control solution and it appeared to be OK. I just put it down to a batch of faulty test strips. Mind you, there wasn't huge difference you got!😱 Now I've got two meters, so if I don't believe one I'll test with the other.

My son has the optium exceed and we have had no problems and have just been sent some blood ketone strips that we can use with it too.

Do you test it reguarly? We use the test solution that you can order (free of charge) and test it (and our spare monitor) once a month. 🙂🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back