Optician

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharron1

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi, I wonder if anyone can help. I have my regular retinal screening and all is ok. I went to get my eyes tested at the optician and he suggested I have a photo thing of my eyes. I assumed this was an eye health check eg Macular or any bleeds which I understand can happen to anyone. He then said we can also do a retinal screening, when I asked if he used drops he said no their camera is very sophisticated. Is that correct? Obviously this would have to be paid for. I understand a check on macular and bleeds but they could happen to non diabetics. I thought retinal screening needed someone who knows what they are looking at. Not sure what they are called. I wasn't convinced by his argument.Was it a sales pitch?

Hi @Sharron1 I don't think it was a sales pitch, as it's what my optician does each visit.

I've only recently been diagnosed as having diabetes, and have been with my opticians for years, and he always takes photos of the back of my eyes (with no drops to dilate my pupils) and also does 3D scans of the back of the eye, which is above and beyond the normal eye test.
I have to pay £40 for the extra scans, but it can pick up bleeds and other problems. He also checked this years scan against previous years to see if there's been any changes.
I've also had the diabetic eye screening at the hospital with eye drops. I guess they're checking similar stuff, but the optician looks for other stuff in addition to damage to the blood vessels in the back of the eye.

I always have the OCT scan at Specsavers, think it's an extra £10. They look for more different issues than the retinal screening does, and it's a 3D scan rather than photos. I also find they show you the pictures and talk through it whereas the NHS retinal scan here you dont see the images at all, so for me i go to both the retinal screening and the OCT scan at specsavers.

Hi, I wonder if anyone can help. I have my regular retinal screening and all is ok. I went to get my eyes tested at the optician and he suggested I have a photo thing of my eyes. I assumed this was an eye health check eg Macular or any bleeds which I understand can happen to anyone. He then said we can also do a retinal screening, when I asked if he used drops he said no their camera is very sophisticated. Is that correct? Obviously this would have to be paid for. I understand a check on macular and bleeds but they could happen to non diabetics. I thought retinal screening needed someone who knows what they are looking at. Not sure what they are called. I wasn't convinced by his argument.Was it a sales pitch?

I pay for a laser scan, it doesn't require drops, and gives a 3d image of your eye.
I think it is an excellent service.

I pay for a laser scan, it doesn't require drops, and gives a 3d image of your eye.
I think it is an excellent service.
Thanks. I am have booked for Jan . I couldn't see anything wrong with it.

This is all news to me, I had no idea that opticians would do extra tests if you paid. My optician has never mentioned it, maybe I'll check next year when I'm due another test. Thanks for all the information everyone 🙂

This is all news to me, I had no idea that opticians would do extra tests if you paid. My optician has never mentioned it, maybe I'll check next year when I'm due another test. Thanks for all the information everyone 🙂
You are not alone it was news to me too.

It depends on the optican.
Most use the same sort of static camera as the NHS.
Mine was recommended to me as she had a laser scanning imager, so while I'd already had the NHS checkup, I thought a second pair of eyes will a different imaging system could only add to it.

I like the fact it includes geriatrics in its demographics! 😉

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back