Opinions please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karen999

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
She/Her
I know you can't give me clear advice but I'd like a general view, I take 500 Metformin 1 morning 1 evening and my hbac1 is 51
Would you increase the does? I struggle with stomach pain. And I'm alittle paranoid if I increase now only 3 years in we're will I go in 20years. Ahhn

I know you can't give me clear advice but I'd like a general view, I take 500 Metformin 1 morning 1 evening and my hbac1 is 51
Would you increase the does? I struggle with stomach pain. And I'm alittle paranoid if I increase now only 3 years in we're will I go in 20years. Ahhn
No. It's got to be 52 at least.

Guidelines are to try to aim for < 53 when on medication that cause hypos.

Last edited:
If you're not on other medication associated with hypos, then the target is 48. Probably best you read the guidelines for yourself & then discuss with your DSN.

For adults whose type 2 diabetes is managed either by lifestyle and diet, or lifestyle and diet combined with a single drug not associated with hypoglycaemia, support them to aim for an HbA1c level of 48 mmol/mol (6.5%).

If you're three years in then what is your HbA1c history? If it's been lower & now starting to rise, then you may well need an increase/change in meds, assuming that your diet/exercise hasn't changed. But again the reason for the rise should really be discussed with your DSN.

Last edited:
Diet is equally as important and many will reduce blood glucose from a higher level than 51mmol/mol without medication. Especially if you are experiencing stomach pain increasing metformin is likely to make it worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back