Operations and sugar levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyGlos

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
He/Him
Afternoon All, I am trying to get my head straight as I am going to have some operations, the first since being diagnosed diabetic. Am hoping the back surgery will mean I can get a bit more active again and do some exercise.

I'm not good with anesthetics both mentally and physically, one friend woke up during a back op and last time I had one they had trouble waking me up.

What I am now also wondering is whether anyone had trouble keeping sugar levels under control after an op or whether there were any other problems? I'm probably overthinking things but would like to know. It's taken me long enough to get sugars down so that the Medics would agree to operate.

I have had a couple of operations since my diagnosis.
I found the stress of the upcoming surgery raised my BG and, then afterwards, my BG was raised as my helpful liver release even more glucose to help with the recovery and repair.
However, this was not long term affect and, I suspect my BG was raised beforehand as my body was fighting the pain which necessitated the surgery.

I have had GA a couple of times which was fine both times for me. I think the nurse was more concerned than I was as I came round because my heart rate was lower than she was used to seeing but not overly low for me.
Before the surgery, I spoke to the anaesthetist who explained that he would be keeping an eye on my BG so he could give insulin through the drip if my BG started to rise or glucose if it fell. I am not sure if this is the case for all people with diabetes or only those being treated with insulin.
I would definitely recommend you speak to your anaesthetist beforehand and explain your concerns. They may be able to alleviate some of them.

I have had a couple of operations since my diagnosis.
I found the stress of the upcoming surgery raised my BG and, then afterwards, my BG was raised as my helpful liver release even more glucose to help with the recovery and repair.
However, this was not long term affect and, I suspect my BG was raised beforehand as my body was fighting the pain which necessitated the surgery.

I have had GA a couple of times which was fine both times for me. I think the nurse was more concerned than I was as I came round because my heart rate was lower than she was used to seeing but not overly low for me.
Before the surgery, I spoke to the anaesthetist who explained that he would be keeping an eye on my BG so he could give insulin through the drip if my BG started to rise or glucose if it fell. I am not sure if this is the case for all people with diabetes or only those being treated with insulin.
I would definitely recommend you speak to your anaesthetist beforehand and explain your concerns. They may be able to alleviate some of them
Thank you Helli, You've definately answered a couple of my concerns about BG. Mine are up again at the moment and I can now put that down to stress. I know my BP will hit the floor as I already have low BP so must remember to mention that. I didn't realise that an anesthetist would keep an eye on BG so will certainly mention about me being on insulin and see what they say.

Another important measure is your HbA1c. Unless it is an emergency like a car accident they will not usually operate if your HbA1c is above 64 as it hinders healing. The figure may be lower for bariatric and other "high risk" surgeries.

Another important measure is your HbA1c. Unless it is an emergency like a car accident they will not usually operate if your HbA1c is above 64 as it hinders healing. The figure may be lower for bariatric and other "high risk" surgeries.
Thankfully I've managed to get it down from 76 to 59. As soon as the back Surgeon saw that he was "Right let's get this sorted" asap. I've another meeting with him next Thursday to fix a date.

Hope the op goes well @AndyGlos - do chat things through in your pre-op appointments, so that you know what arrangements will be in place. Hopefully knowing that will help put your mind at rest, and reduce hour stress levels 🙂

Hope the op goes well @AndyGlos - do chat things through in your pre-op appointments, so that you know what arrangements will be in place. Hopefully knowing that will help put your mind at rest, and reduce hour stress levels 🙂
Thank you. The advice and help from the Forum Members has really helped with questions I need to ask. I've 'the Big Meeting' next week and will take the conversations in the direction I need to.

I have a few operations since my diagnosis including spinal surgery.
My BG went up prior to the op, both from the stress and the pain I was in.
They stressed the importance of managing my levels effectively beforehand, and to expect higher levels afterwards for a while due to the pain. These settled afterwards. I found it very helpful to talk to the anaesthetist and was full of questions which they answered fully and we agreed a plan.

Let us know how you get on.

Ps
Well done on the reduction in your HbA1c. That will help a lot especially during your recovery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back