Oops I ate a wrap :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotWorriedAtAll

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
She/They
I have been so good for such a long time but I let myself down today and ate a whole white wrap!!
It was from a pack bought for my husband direct from the bakery online and it didn't have the nutritional values on the pack because they were on the information online when purchased so I didn't have that little piece of information right in front of me when it would have made me think before doing.
I guesstimated it would be about 15g carbs and it was 30g!! Which is more than my usual whole day allowance by an extra 10g and all in one go plus I had had my usual amount of carbs up to that point that day so I'd already had about 10g.

My blood sugars went up to 9 from 5.4 and my eyesight went a bit blurry.

I had a big mug of peppermint tea, a large glass of water and then climbed onto my exercise bike and pedalled for 20 minutes.
Blood sugars back to 6.7 straight after that and then 6.2 an hour later.
Eyesight still a bit blurry and my fingers are still bleedy from the lancet. I have noticed that when my sugars go high my blood gets much runnier and the testing spots don't seal up as fast as when my blood sugars are ideal. I can almost tell from how quickly the blood comes out onto the test strip whether it is going to be on the high side even before the monitor tells me.
Off to bed now and hoping it will be a long time before I make this sort of mistake again.

Sounds a bit of an overreaction from you, like you’ve developed a bit of a fear of eating carbs or of bgs going up? Non diabetics regularly see 9s and one spike is unlikely to cause blurred vision.

Last edited:
Sounds a bit of an overreaction from you, like you’ve developed a bit of a fear of eating carbs or of bgs going up? Non diabetics regularly see 9s and one spike is likely to cause blurred vision.
I think that should read, "unlikely" and I agree otherwise my eyes would be going wonky all the time. 🙄 It takes persistently high BG levels to affect the shape of the eye lens. A short spike and return to range is something that non-diabetics experience too
The bleeding is more likely to be down to raised blood pressure due to anxiety and/or the exercise and of course drinking more to flush your system.

I understand how you can get so focused on dietary control that it becomes all important, but as someone who is insulin dependent, I cannot control my levels to that extent so despite my low carb approach, it has forced me to accept that BG variability is normal and does not do me any harm providing that I keep it within reasonable levels and that is between 3.9 and 10 at least 70% of the time. That means that I go higher than 10 occasionally and lower than 3.9 sometimes and that is OK, just like it is OK for non=diabetics. I know being very low carb works for you mentally but in reality you are artificially suppressing your levels beyond what is normal. That probably will not do you any harm unless it makes you obsessive about it, so maybe this is a good lesson to be a little bit less hard on yourself.

A 9 is actually pretty decent after 30g. I was out and about yesterday and picked up a pack of cooked sausages in a little box with a ketchup dip. Didn’t read the box because they are sausages how bad could it be? Checked sugars about 3 hours later and I was 11! Looked online and the sausages were 16g carbs. I had no clue I was was higher but as soon as I saw that number I felt poorly lol

A whole wrap once in a while isn’t going to kill you. I think some of your reaction was guilt/anxiety. 9 isn’t a bad figure 🙂 People without diabetes sometimes go into the 10s, and it’s only just past the Type 2 post-prandial target of 8.5.

Don’t worry about it 🙂

@NotWorriedAtAll , I'd urge you to consider you gave your system a bit of a surprise by eating the heavier than usual meal.

Our systems like to work to routines, and our systems generate "the usual" levels of digestive juices/enzymes etc as it goes along. When you then give it more, or much less, than it is expecting, the results can be skewed. I bet if you repeapted to exercise soon, the result might be a bit less extreme.

Don't beat yourself up. It is highly unlikely you have done any lasting damage whatsoever. Life goes on, but alos life gets in the way of ideal sometimes.

I have been so good for such a long time but I let myself down today and ate a whole white wrap!!
It was from a pack bought for my husband direct from the bakery online and it didn't have the nutritional values on the pack because they were on the information online when purchased so I didn't have that little piece of information right in front of me when it would have made me think before doing.
I guesstimated it would be about 15g carbs and it was 30g!! Which is more than my usual whole day allowance by an extra 10g and all in one go plus I had had my usual amount of carbs up to that point that day so I'd already had about 10g.

My blood sugars went up to 9 from 5.4 and my eyesight went a bit blurry.

I had a big mug of peppermint tea, a large glass of water and then climbed onto my exercise bike and pedalled for 20 minutes.
Blood sugars back to 6.7 straight after that and then 6.2 an hour later.
Eyesight still a bit blurry and my fingers are still bleedy from the lancet. I have noticed that when my sugars go high my blood gets much runnier and the testing spots don't seal up as fast as when my blood sugars are ideal. I can almost tell from how quickly the blood comes out onto the test strip whether it is going to be on the high side even before the monitor tells me.
Off to bed now and hoping it will be a long time before I make this sort of mistake again.
How does that compare to a B Free Sweet Potato Wrap (1 wrap) contains 18g total carbs, 13g net carbs, 1g fat, 2g protein, and 100 calories?

A 9 is actually pretty decent after 30g. I was out and about yesterday and picked up a pack of cooked sausages in a little box with a ketchup dip. Didn’t read the box because they are sausages how bad could it be? Checked sugars about 3 hours later and I was 11! Looked online and the sausages were 16g carbs. I had no clue I was was higher but as soon as I saw that number I felt poorly lol
A similar thing happened with a Scotch egg, I thought it would be reasonably low carb but I suppose they use cheap sausage meat with lots of added cereal. The sausages I usually buy are 1.5 or 2g carb per sausage.

I am only four feet and ten inches tall. I have PCOS and other metabolic/hormonal issues as I am 61 and still have not got through menopause so I generally need to keep a strict control of what I eat or I end up bleeding heavily, with stomach cramps, brain fog and it takes a few days to a week to get myself back to an even keel.

It would be lovely to think the blurry eyesight was caused by guilt/anxiety except I wasn't feeling the slightest bit guilty or anxious when I noticed the blurry eyesight - in fact I was patting myself on the back and telling myself I was sure it wouldn't have any effect on me whatsoever.

I didn't look up the carb count until after I had dealt with the spike.

I prefer to keep my levels stable and I do not want to use meds if I can avoid them and so far I have managed that for a few years now. I am 100% not obsessed. Just keenly aware that I do not have a metabolism that can deal with more than 20g - 40g carbs a day as a regular thing and definitely not all in one go as white unrefined wheat products.
I am sure that if I had eaten 30g of carbs in a fibre rich meal I would have had a less drastic spike. I have eaten a plate of fish and chips before now and gone to over 10 on my monitor but that would have been expected and at least that would have been worth it as it would be a treat rather than a single (albeit large) dry wrap. I mean if I am going to splurge it might as well be worth it. :rofl:

Many non diabetics see nines.
That wasn't a drastic spike

It’s absolutely fine for you to manage your diabetes in the way that suits you best @NotWorriedAtAll. A d to aim for whatever range you feel happy with.

As others have said, there’s next to no chance of any lasting damage being done, and all of us make decisions every so often which we later reflect on and think, “why did I do that?!”.

No harm, no foul. Forget it and move on. And be kind to yourself. 🙂

A similar thing happened with a Scotch egg, I thought it would be reasonably low carb but I suppose they use cheap sausage meat with lots of added cereal. The sausages I usually buy are 1.5 or 2g carb per sausage.
Yes me too… I don’t know why I didn’t check, think I got into the habit of assuming all meat is fine. Chip shop sausage is another bad one Had one of those once with mushy peas …Bad combo :rofl:

It’s absolutely fine for you to manage your diabetes in the way that suits you best @NotWorriedAtAll. A d to aim for whatever range you feel happy with.

As others have said, there’s next to no chance of any lasting damage being done, and all of us make decisions every so often which we later reflect on and think, “why did I do that?!”.

No harm, no foul. Forget it and move on. And be kind to yourself. 🙂
“why did I do that?!”.

Yeah like the time I thought salted caramel baileys would be fine because it’s not food.

“why did I do that?!”.

Yeah like the time I thought salted caramel baileys would be fine because it’s not food.

Or me in the hospital at diagnosis asking the WRVS woman with the trolley if I could have a sugar in my coffee.

I also remember wondering in the first few weeks whether honey would be OK as an alternative sweetener because it was ‘natural’ :rofl:

Or me in the hospital at diagnosis asking the WRVS woman with the trolley if I could have a sugar in my coffee.

I also remember wondering in the first few weeks whether honey would be OK as an alternative sweetener because it was ‘natural’ :rofl:
I think it is probably called grasping at straws!!
I certainly remember having the same thought at one point.... especially being a beekeeper! In some respects that thinking probably helped me to not reduce my BG levels too quickly because I initially cut the obvious sugar, and chocolates, but still ate fruit and then cut the fruit and the little bit of honey I was using and then whittled down the starchy carbs all over a period of a couple of months to bring me down from a very high carb intake to a very low carb intake. It is funny to look back on your own naivety at diagnosis!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back