Ooops. Too complacent

Status
Not open for further replies.

SB2015

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I am involved with a local production of Our House. Only as an off stage singer, but I have never been involved in anything like this before. The timing of warm ups etc don't match my usual pattern of things, but I just thought Humphrey (my pump) would sort this out as he has other things.

Day 1 Tech rehearsal
Humphrey seemed happy enough and at 95% tir. I was happy that he had worked things out and was going to let me enjoy the week.

Day 2 Dress Rehearsal
Just about to go on for our bows and found I was 3.2 and dropping. No curtain call for me. It was hot in the room we were in, there was a lot going on and I had not heard the alarms, so missed all the warnings and symptoms. When I got to 2.4 and dropping, in spite of a shed load of jelly babies, grapes, anything I could my hands on I really panicked. It is a long time since I have been that low. Later I looked back to work out where it had gone wrong, with no obvious cause. The following day checked with DSN to see if I was missing something in my data. The only thing I can think of is that those pesky remaining Beta cells got far too excited and decided to join in with no warning.

Day 3 First Night
I was armed with glucagon, hypo stop and the nurse checked where these were (Never needed a glucagon pen yet!!)
My stash took up all available space in my bag
Other singers appeared with sweets, grapes, falpjacks, ... to share
An uneventful and enjoyable performance with 92% tir.

Even with closed loop things go wrong and it was a good warning for me to still be prepared.
I discovered that:
  • doing things out of the ordinary still challenge the closed loop and can be unpredictable
  • a glucagon pen can be out of the fridge for 18 months but at less than 25 degrees
  • I am still glad that I agreed to do something new and will just be better prepared next time.
  • That trickle of insulin that I still have after all these years is a pest

Another four performances to go.
Hoping things that stay stable now and will run a bit higher to be safe if necessary

Good luck with the rest of them. Humphrey should hopefully have got the hang of it by the end! 🙄 Hope you don't have any more nasty hypos but lovely that the others brought stuff along in case you needed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back