Ooooops, 1.8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monica

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Yesterday we walked the Humber Bridge Walk for Diabetes UK. It was great fun. The weather was perfect, dry and cloudy. The walk takes about 45 minutes there and back. The girls, 1 diabetic, 2 not, almost raced. I got a text message from them saying they were back at the car about 10 minutes before we arrived back. C was fine all day. Then after the evening meal C went out with her friends again for about 1 hour. So at 8pm just before her shower I told her to test, it was 4.7. She decided she'd eat 2 rice cakes then go and have her shower. After her shower she CAME DOWN THE STAIRS, got her machine out and tested 1.8!!! 😱😱 When she's this low, which doesn't happen often luckily, she has coke. After 10 minutes she was back up at 4.3 PHEW!!!

I could not believe it that she walked down the stairs!! I must have a chat with her, that she needs to shout me next time. She always shouts me in the middle of the night and she knows that at school if hypo not to go down stairs!!

Today, she's been on a school trip. I didn't include part of her dessert in the insulin calculations tonight. Fingers crossed she's not high now, as she didn't go out after, but is now still sitting at her laptop.

1.8 is low, but a lot does depend on how you're dropping. I've been known to function below 2, although not very well. The problem is that you're not rational so half of you thinks it's alright to carry on doing stuff, but your brain and body don't always respond quite as you'd expect! I hope you manage to get it into her subconscious about the stairs! 😱 Glad to hear it didn't turn out badly.

Yes, she must have felt hypo though, otherwise she wouldn't have tested. And it must have come down quite quickly-ish. 8pm 4.7, 8.30pm 1.8. She still felt a bit weird 10 min later when she tested and it was 4.3. But I have to say, she didn't look hypo either. Not that there is a hypo look as such. Last week was the first time I've seen someone showing signs of hypo. The little boy at school was 2.7 and really looked unwell. He was shaking and looked very pale.

I know that if you go hypo slowly you don't get bad symptoms. And C has been 1.7 once without any at all. We only found out during a routine bedtime test.

So it must have been the exercise earlier, then Monica? That was a very quick drop. I woke up on 1.8 last week, 3 hrs after going to bed at 12.8 or so. Funny enough, I went out to the loo, and went to check my daughter wasnt hypo, before going back to bed and deciding to test before going back to sleep. Soon as I saw the number the symptoms kicked in!The human body is amazing!
My daughter has a habit of 'waiting', when shes hypo - ie if a meal is being prepared she wont want to treat the hypo, for example. She was recently shopping with a friend and was 2.6 and decided to walk half a mile to McDonalds - without treating! Scary for Mum's - am trying to get her out of that habit atm! She thinks I over react😱
Gloria

So it must have been the exercise earlier, then Monica? That was a very quick drop. I woke up on 1.8 last week, 3 hrs after going to bed at 12.8 or so. Funny enough, I went out to the loo, and went to check my daughter wasnt hypo, before going back to bed and deciding to test before going back to sleep. Soon as I saw the number the symptoms kicked in!The human body is amazing!
My daughter has a habit of 'waiting', when shes hypo - ie if a meal is being prepared she wont want to treat the hypo, for example. She was recently shopping with a friend and was 2.6 and decided to walk half a mile to McDonalds - without treating! Scary for Mum's - am trying to get her out of that habit atm! She thinks I over react😱
Gloria

Gloria, that sounds just like C!!! I'm sure if she starts feeling hypo during walking home from school, she doesn't do anything about it until she gets home. Of course your daughter thinks you overreact, I hear that a lot from C too. She wants to go out without taking her handbag!!!!😱 Maybe they will learn the hard way one day, when they will collapse on the floor. Trouble is that C has never had any "bad" symptoms yet.

Yes, I guess it was the exercise. And yesterday, after being out on the school trip and me telling her to give less insulin AND just sitting at her laptop in the evening, her blood readings were still "good", not so "good" this morning though.

I get that sometimes - no symptoms when REALLY low, but I get them as I come back up. Weird.

Yes, I've noticed that too, we find out by coincidence that she's hypo. Then as soon as she sees the numbers, she's starting to feel strange.

I'm glad that your daughter didn't hurt herself whilst trying to get down the stairs, sometimes it's really hard to think properly when your hypo especially the really low one's like that xx

I'm glad that your daughter didn't hurt herself whilst trying to get down the stairs, sometimes it's really hard to think properly when your hypo especially the really low one's like that xx

As I don't really know how a diabetic feels I can only say from what I witness with C. She just walked into the living room quite normally. You wouldn't have guessed anything was wrong on sunday, nor that time when she was 1.7. Luckily she's rarely that low. Usually it's around 3 when she notices.

I test myself sometimes for no apparant reason and then I realise I'm having a bad hypo it's almost as if my brain has told me to do it because it knows that something is wrong x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back