Only one course?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jean

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Really hope I've got this wrong - but it seems that wherever you look for main meal ideas for the low-carb fans, you find a main course - and that's it.

Whilst some low carbers may lose some of their appetite, it isn't true for us all!

Agreed pudddings are out as 'afters' - but what about 'starters'?

Any ideas? (and I'm not seeking recipes - just ideas!)

All contributions will be gratefully received.

I don't know about starters, but Strawberrys and cream/ raspberrys are quite low in carbohydrates and make a nice pudding 🙂

Sounds like one for the girls on the low carb thread!

Salad things are good as starters as are fishy things, I like avacado with orange and even prawn, not sure how much carbs are in them mind, I'm thinking it's low tho!

Some places have a selection of nice hams as a starter? Maybe have a look online at restaurant menus for ideas?

Is this for you to cook/prepair at home, or for when you go out into the big scary world?

All the best. Rossi

If you are making it at home how about vegetable soup? You control what goes into it and things like tomatoes, onions and celery (on their own or together) make brilliant soups.

Have also seen things like prawm cocktail and melon balls used in starters.

As Mattie says things like fruit and cream are quite low carb, so there are plenty of things to choose from.

Pay a visit to the library and see if they have any low carb cookery books as most cook books have a selection of ideas for all three courses of meals.

Thanks for your ideas, folks.

Please keep 'em coming!

I really have been stuck for ideas for low carb 'starters' and 'afters' that i can lay on the table at home.

Really hope I've got this wrong - but it seems that wherever you look for main meal ideas for the low-carb fans, you find a main course - and that's it.

Whilst some low carbers may lose some of their appetite, it isn't true for us all!

Agreed pudddings are out as 'afters' - but what about 'starters'?

Any ideas? (and I'm not seeking recipes - just ideas!)

All contributions will be gratefully received.

Dear Jean,

I don't know where you have been looking but there are plenty of books/websites out there which can give you ideas e.g. I've just taken a book (Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution) from my bookshelf and it contains 126 pages of recipes starters, mains and sweets, yes it uses American measures but conversion is easy. Regarding feeling hungry, it's usually an indication that you are not doing it right (too many high GI foods).

Addendum - I just Googled "Low carbohydrate Recipes" and picked this at random the choice is huge!

http://www.camacdonald.com/lc/LowCarbohydrateCooking-Recipes.htm

Warmest Regards Dodger

Last edited:
If you fancy something sweet and chocolaty I have found that profiteroles (sp?) are quite low in carb, plenty of cream and they are yummy!
Weight watchers do some frozen chocolate elcairs and they are quite low carb aswell.
If you have the latest issue of Sweet magazine they have a recipie for a strawberry souffle omelette that is quite low in carbs-10g sorry but we can't copy recipies from elsewhere here.
Cheese and crackers if you don't have too many crackers and lots of lovely cheese.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back